Wise ones, we are working on standardizing the biography section at my high school.
 The dilemma is the inconsistency and what to decide on as a standard.  For example
in our library, books on Billy the Kid are designated in three different ways:

Alias Billy the Kid by C.L. Sonnichsen has a cutter number:  B717s.
Looking at SchoolCat, most schools show it as B Bon (which is what I am learning
toward).

Billy the Kidd: Outlaw of the Wild West by Roger A. Bruns is:  B Bil.
Most records in SchoolCat also show it as B Bil.

The Saga of Billy the Kid by Walter Noble Burns is B717b.
SchoolCat shows it as either B Bil or B Bon.

The True Life of Billy the Kid by Edmund Fable is B 717f.
SchoolCat has it as  B Bon.

We are trying to get away from the Cutter numbers.  My question is which do you use
for Billy the Kid:  B Bon or B Bil (or 92 Bon or 92 Bil)?

I have a helper for an hour each day who teaches French at our school.   She is
Russian working on her certification, and she is very methodical.  This
inconsistency is really hard for her, and I'd like to make it easier.  B Bon seems
right  to me but I know that many people might not know Billy the Kid is William
Bonney.

What do you suggest?
Thanks for helping clarify this for me.

Vicki :-)