Tuesday, our students arrive.  I spent some time this summer
reflecting on my relevance for 21st century learners and how I might
respond to some of the very valid suggestions my seniors suggested in
their exit interviews.

Beyond goal sharing, I thought it might be valuable for us to share
our new strategies for reaching those goals--for improving our
services and instruction for the coming school year.  What new ideas
are you trying?

descriptions of our databases. I have not yet completed this project!
(Our seniors expressed their deep LOVE of databases, but told me quite
clearly that they don't always remember which ones do what.)  I also
added a "database by subject page"
(http://mciu.org/~spjvweb/databasessubject.html) and I think that will
help both students and teachers.

As part of my "reading" thrust this year I added a Springfield READS!
blog (http://springfield.edublogs.org) and, to communicate my
reflections more effectively with my colleagues and to archive my
columns,  I've added a NeverEnding Search Blog
(http://joycevalenza.edublogs.org)  These are fledgling efforts, but I
am quite excited about the ease with which I can now share.  I really
love Edublogs!  I am planning to work with teachers to include wikis,
and blogs, and podcasts as student products where they make sense in
the curriculum. (BTW, for any of you who read the SLJ cover article on
blogging, I felt seriously misrepresented.)

We are also planning author visits and book discussions via
teleconference with schools around our county and around the country!

I am thrilled about the new tools available for information sharing.

I wish you all a wonderful start!  I would love to hear about your new
ideas for this year!  (And I am also excited about bumping into all of
you in Pittsburgh!)

joyce

Joyce Kasman Valenza
Springfield Township HS Library                    techlife@school
Philadelphia Inquirer
Phone: 215-233-6030 Ext. 2502                     Fax: 215-836-5237
Library website: http://mciu.org/~spjvweb     Personal website:
http://joycevalenza.com
Doctoral student UNT SLIS