Thank you to all who were so generous with their ideas for decorating the library
with characters! (And decorating in general)

Here are the responses.

Additionally, if anyone thinks that they have a really imaginative idea for any
diplays within their library, or if they love how their library is organized and
decorated, or if they have color ideas for an ideal color for the walls to be
painted that isn't too dark, but isn't too "cold", I'll gladly take all ideas!
Pictures are welcome too if that is allowed!

Here's the ideas from the first posting!

Janet Anderson
LRC Director
Highlands Elementary
Naperville, IL
kelmegter@wideopenwest.com

* Watch copyright and trademark issues with those things. Some of the owners of the
properties have been known to "raid" schools, painting out murals, etc. with
buckets of paint!

* Does your copy machine make transparencies? You could make one of each of the
characters you want, project them on a wall with paper, and trace and finish.
I had an aide who was going to art school who drew a few free hand on foam board.
Then we added a support piece to the back. They worked great. (This idea actually
isn't legal, but I thought I'd post it since I got it!)

* I made hanging shelf tags for popular series such as Berenstain Bears, Clifford,
Junie B, Curious George, etc., getting some pictures of characters from the
authors' or publishers' websites and some cut from discarded damaged books
(interesting that the
most popular ones are always the most handled and damaged). I put them on different
color construction paper and laminated them, then taped them to the shelves. My PK
and K students can find NO, DAVID! in a flash.

* For my popular chapter books, I place the books in a clear plastic shoebox, book
covers facing the front, then slide the box onto the shelf (still in order by the
author's name).  I create a 3X5 index card label on the computer and then laminate
and attach it to the front of the box.  I suppose you could copy and paste a
graphic from the internet to use on your label.

* About two years ago, when I was at Walmart, I found a Harry Potter crib size
panel of fabric.  We purchased several others (books, etc.) with cute prints and
created wall hangings.  They are pretty and we put velcro on the back so they can
be easily changed.  We get lots of compliments (even though I'm in a high school, I
like it to be visually appealing).  I haven't looked recently, but it was
inexpensive compared to buying Demco's stuff.  Good luck!  Debbie

* I sew a plastic ring onto the top of the stuffed toy and use a
pushpin to attach it to a bulletin board along with a laminated
scanned book jacket cover. My title for the bulletin board is: Can
you find us in the LMC?
It works really well! I have an extensive supply of characters so I
rotate them whenever I have the energy. I'll attempt to send you a
picture if you like.

* Cut pictures out of the book catalogs.  Laminate them
and tape them to the shelf.

Also, use these cut-outs for bookmarks.  I don't think
I've ever done a more popular activity.  I pre-cut
construction paper to bookmark size, put out pages
from the book catalogs with scissors and gluesticks.

* I purchased several book character dolls/plushes for my library.  Most of them
were through eBay and were used so weren't very expensive.  I put them on the top
of the shelves to help students find particular books - i.e. Captain Underpants,
Junie B. Jones, Berenstain Bears, Arthur, Clifford, Franklin, The Snowman, duck and
cow from Click Clack Moo, Madeline, Babar, George and Martha, the Wild Things, etc.
 I did this little by little over time so it wasn't too expensive at any given time
but probably spent between $100-250 total all told. Hope this helps!

* Never having grown up myself, I like stuffed dolls or animals.  For the
major characters in elementary books there are wonderful dolls and animals
you can purchase (Kohl's care for kids comes too mind and then toy stores
etc.) The only problem I have is having students not move them to another
section.  However, you can use that as a learning device as well--Who knows
where Clifford should stay etc.

* I bought Clifford stick ons and clifford material to decorate my
library.

* I made hanging shelf tags for popular series such as Berenstain Bears, Clifford,
Junie B, Curious George, etc., getting some pictures of characters from the
authors' or publishers' websites and some cut from discarded damaged books
(interesting that the most popular ones are always the most handled and damaged). I
put them on different color construction paper and laminated them, then taped them
to the shelves. My PK and K students can find NO, DAVID! in a flash.

* This year I plan to have my 6th graders (I'm in a PreK - school) make
posters for each of the dewey classifications as a culminating activity for
our Dewey unit.  I will suspend the posters from the ceiling near each of
the corresponding sections.

* You can print out color pictures of the characters on their appropriate
website and use them on the shelves.  It is legal in an educational setting.
Might have the website address listed (very small) under the character   cb