I teach 44 classes of K-2 (1000 students)and use
audiobooks during 1st and 2nd grade library classes.
(I also use them with the kindergarten "storytime"
classes to save my voice).  67% of our students are
from poor homes, and one of the general
characteristics is that no one has read aloud to these
children.  The audiobooks help make up this gap.

I do not check out the audiobooks to the children; I
ask teachers for a list of their lowest readers and
set up listening groups with headphones while the
better readers browse and check out.  This also helps
with discipline.  After a group has heard a
story--often they ask for repeats--then they can
choose their books to check out.

I'm working on a grant to buy more books and more
equipment so that I can have a before-school audiobook
club next year. Here are a couple of relevant studies:

Hart and Risley (2003), The early catastrophe: The 30
million word gap by age 3, American Educator, Spring
2003.  Retrieved March 26, 2006, from American
Federation of Teachers Web site,
http://www.aft.org/pubs-reports/american_educator/spring2003/catastrophe.html.

Rasinski, Timothy V., “Effects of Repeated Reading and
Listening-While-Reading on Reading Fluency,” Journal
of Educational Research, 147-150, January/February
1990 [Vol. 83 (No. 3)].  (EBSCO)

Debbie Allen, Librarian
Sudduth Elementary School
Starkville, Mississippi