Susan wrote:

Subject: ELEM SHARE: Lesson- Become a Library Book Spine

For several years I've been trying to come up with a way to have young
children make the connection between a library book, its spine label and the
corresponding shelf.  Finally, I came up with a lesson...and it's working.

I wrote on my easel     Today we are going to become Library Book Spines.

I made two examples from popular books.
I took a sheet of construction paper about 18 inches by 2 ( I think that
I'll change to 2.5 or 3 inches next time)

I took a piece of yarn about 18 inches and taped it looped to the back of
one
end.  I made white squares about 2 inches x 2 inches and wrote a capital
E for Easy and left the rest of the space for the student to add the first
three letters of the author's last name.
I copied the spine of the two books onto the long paper as the book was
published.
=========================
I have used a similar idea for a number of years.  However, we hold the
spines up in front of our bodies and line up on the imaginary book shelf to
demonstrate book placement, then go to the shelf and find the real location
for a book with those call numbers.

The next lesson involves REAL book jackets that I have laminated with
attached spine label and the kids find the proper location.

Mary Ludwick, Librarian         K-5 Elementary
Owen Elementary, The Colony, Texas (near Dallas)
ludwickm@lisd.net  (school address)
ludwick@swbell.net (home address)