I actually received several good ideas, the hardest thing will be deciding
which one to use.  I might use a combination of ideas.  I think  origami would
be too hard for 2nd graders, but they might get a kick out of the  book
pocket.  My 3rd graders are creative and might enjoy making their own,  while the
origami pocket will be for the fourth graders.  Here is my  original question
and at the end will be all the ideas I received.  Thank  you to all who helped,
I do appreciate it.

Wendy S.  Lavenda-Carroll
Librarian
Lincoln School (K-6) M-W-F
Grant School (K-6) T-Th)
Ridgefield  Park, NJ
_wendyscarr@aol.com_ (mailto:wendyscarr@aol.com)

I am interested in my elementary students making a pocket to put their  poems
into to use with the book, Keep a Poem in your Pocket by de Regnier.

Does anyone have a pattern or idea of how I can make one?  I've  looked
online and in books, but I'm drawing a blank.  I was planning this  lesson for
2-4th graders.  Thanks.

Wendy S.  Lavenda-Carroll
Librarian
Lincoln School (K-6) M-W-F
Grant School (K-6) T-Th)
Ridgefield  Park, NJ
_wendyscarr@aol.com_ (mailto:wendyscarr@aol.com)
The pocket  pattern is the second item down.
_http://www.the-little-experience.com/_shop/_pages/pdfs/free_pages/origami.pdf
_
(http://www.the-little-experience.com/_shop/_pages/pdfs/free_pages/origami.pdf)
Here's my  idea from the "top of my head" as they say; since you don't have
anything to put  the pocket on why don't the kids make a small paper book for
their poems that is  in the shape of a pocket.  It would be opening from left
to right as a  normal book for easy reading of the poems.Then they could make a
folder that is  open at the top in the same shape only slightly larger so
that the poems could  go in the "Pocket"(folder)  The Pocket Poems of ___________
Pocket  Poems
by  _______________
I  may just try making these at home this weekend.  I'll write back if I
think  it works.  Great idea for Poetry Month.
The easiest  way I can think of is to seal an envelope closed and them cut it
in half,  thus yeilding 2 pockets.  If you wanted to get fancy, you could
even trim  down one side, fold over the top and glue on a button with a long
thread  (to wrap around the pocket and seal it) for the "cute factor"   Good luck!

-*************************************************************1.You can use a
 rectanglar shape, make it any size you wish.
2. Stitch  along 4 sides with a stitch about 5/8ths inch from the  edges.
3. Fold the  sides behind the pocket face. Iron.  On the top of the pocket,
you will  have to turn under the edge and stitch down. Otherwise the top of the
pocket  will catch onto things as you use the pocket.
4. For the  pocket, just stitch along 3 sides only to secure it to your
fabric item, be it a  shirt, jacket, or pair of pants.  Have fun!
When I was a  little girl, I used to watch my mother sew my clothes all the
time. One time, I  designed my own pocket pattern. It was a very round pocket.
Ask your  students to create their own pocket shapes.  They will have more
fun.

Why don't you just  "deconstruct" a book pocket and use that as a  template.
Would this be  out of denim and shaped like a jean pants pocket?
How about  book pockets?