Many thanks to everyone for their sugested resources for a family that needed
information on cutting.  I've tried to consolidate some of the duplication.  Also,
I tried to thank everyone individually, but if I missed you please know that I'm
grateful for your input.  I also received quite a few emails that related personal
struggles with people close to them that are or were cutting themselves.  My heart
goes out to all of you that have had this very serious issue touch your lives in
any way.

Linda

Linda Costelloe

Librarian

Daniel Warren Elementary School

Rye Neck UFSD

Mamaroneck, NY  10543

914.777.4285

lcostelloe@ryeneck.k12.ny.us

Cut by Patricia McCormick

Bodily harm : the breakthrough healing program for self-injurers - Conterio, Karen
Bright red scream : self-mutilation and the language of pain - Strong, Marilee
Scarred soul : understanding & ending self-inflicted violence - Alderman, Tracy
Women who hurt themselves : a book of hope and understanding - Miller, Dusty

Websites:
http://www.nshn.co.uk/index2.html
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.nshn.co.uk/index2.html>

http://www.palace.net/llama/psych/injury.html
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.palace.net/llama/psych/injury.html>

http://www.self-injury.net/
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.self-injury.net/>

http://www.selfharm.org.uk/
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.selfharm.org.uk/>

http://www.selfharmuk.org/docs/self%20harm%20report%20lowres.pdf
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.selfharmuk.org/docs/self%2520harm%2520report%2520lowres.pdf>

http://www.selfharmuk.org/
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.selfharmuk.org/>

http://www.siari.co.uk/
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.siari.co.uk/>

Check out the S.A.F.E. Alternatives website at http://www.selfinjury.com/
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.selfinjury.com/>
 .  They have a list of referrals.  Maybe there is something to help you there.
Also, you can find more materials on the subject by searching the terms
self-injury, self-mutilation and self-abuse.

http://www.healthyplace.com/Communities/Eating_Disorders/peacelovehope/mutilation.html

<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.healthyplace.com/Communities/Eating_Disorders/peacelovehope/mutilation.html>

http://www.tpronline.org/articles.cfm?articleID=97
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.tpronline.org/articles.cfm?articleID=97>

http://www.tpronline.org/articles.cfm?articleID=100
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.tpronline.org/articles.cfm?articleID=100>

http://www.thestepfamilylife.com/Column23.htm
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.thestepfamilylife.com/Column23.htm>

http://kidshealth.org/PageManager.jsp?dn=familydoctor&article_set=20974&lic=44&cat_id=20123

<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://kidshealth.org/PageManager.jsp?dn=familydoctor%26article_set=20974%26lic=44%26cat_id=20123>

http://www.coolnurse.com/self-injury.htm
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.coolnurse.com/self-injury.htm>

NAMI (National Association for those with Mental Illnesses may have some
information for you. It is available on the net at www.nami.org. If a student is
cutting (or self-injuring) the parents should seek help from a therapist or
psychiatrist. Good luck.

This book is used by our therapists:
Conterio, Karen. Bodily harm : the breakthrough treatment program for self-injurers
/ Karen Conterio and Wendy Lader, with Jennifer Kingson Bloom. Publisher: New York
: Hyperion, c1998.

This book contains a two-page bibliography of books and articles (both popular
press and scholarly) and suggests:

1-800-DONT CUT

Or write to:

S.A.F.E. Alternatives L. L. C.

7115 West North Avenue, Suite 319

Oak Park, IL  60302

or visit their website:  www.selfinjury.com
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.selfinjury.com>

They use this video, too:
Emotion and pain understanding self-injury, an in-depth look at the secret world of
"cutters"/ Hourglass Productions ; produced by Susan Luftman and Eric Marciano;
directed by Eric Marciano. New York: Hourglass Productions, c2003.

Try this web resource:
http://www.selfinjury.com/
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.selfinjury.com/>

Blade Silver: Color Me Scarred by Melody Carlson

Tribes by Slade
Luckiest Girl in the World by Levenkron

Since you are compiling a hit, I'll add one more title, but it's really more for
someone doing serious research on :

    Bodies Under Siege:Self-mutilation and body modification in culture and
psychiatry.  Armando R. Favazza, MD

    Johns Hopkins University Press

It covers mutilative beliefs in religions and cultures, examining the spectrum of
everything from piercing ears to things like genital mutilation, from modest
tattoos, to ritual scarification.  So it talks about culturally sanctioned self
mutilation, as well as the pathological practices.  It's rather heavy-duty, and
includes things like animals and automutilation, and interestingly enough, eating
disorders and cannibalism.

This book is rather technical, and uses a lot of medical terminology.  It's written
for professionals.

The truth about abuse by John Haley, Facts on File, 2005 (Has a chapter on
self-mutilation),

Coping with self-mutilation: a helping book for teens who hurt themselves by Alicia
Clark, Rosen Pub. Group, 1999,

Cutting the pain away: examining self-mutilation by Ann Holmes, Chelsea House
Publishers, 1999.

Skin game by Caroline Kettlewell, St. Martin's Press, 1999, and a fiction book,
Blade silver: color me scarred by Melody Carlson, Think Books, 2005

Cutting the pain away: examining self-mutilation by Ann Holmes

This book has an appendix "For More Information" that suggests:

Adolescent Psychiatric Services at Fairfax Hospital

10200 NE 132 St

Kirkland, WA  98034

800 435 7221

athealth.com/fairfax.html

Butler Hospital

345 Blackstone Blvd

Providence, RI   02906

www.butler.org
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.butler.org>

The Cutting Edge (newsletter)

PO Box 20819

Cleveland, OH   44120

Frederick County Mental Health Assoc

357-359 W. Patrick St

Frederick, MD   21701

www.fwp.net/MentalHealthAssoc/counhot.htm
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.fwp.net/MentalHealthAssoc/counhot.htm>

Independent Living Center of the North Shore

583 Chestnut Street

Lynn, MA   01904

(617) 593-7500

publishes the pamphlet "Women and Self Injury" and offers support groups

Institute for Bio-Behavioral THerapy and Research

935 Northern Boulevard

Great Neck, NY   11021

(516) 487-7116

www.babyplace.com/biobehav.htm
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.babyplace.com/biobehav.htm>

Linehan Training Group

4556 University Way NE

College Center Bldg, Suite 222

Seattle, WA   98105

e-mail:  info@dbt-seattle.com <mailto:info@dbt-seattle.com>

Pittsburgh Action Against Rape

81 S. 19th St

Pittsburgh, PA   15203

412 431-5665

drewski.andrew.cmu.edu/survivors/selfinjury

SAFE Alternatives Program

MacNeal Hospital

Berwyn, IL

(800) DONT CUT

The Sanctuary

Friends Hospital

4641 Roosevelt Blvd

Philadelphia, PA   19124

215 831-6916

www.sanctuarysage.com
<http://mail.ryeneck.k12.ny.us/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.sanctuarysage.com>

Levenkron, Steven.  Cutting :understanding and overcoming self-mutilation

In addition to a bibliography of recommended readings, this book recommends:

Understanding Self-Injury: A Workbook for Adults.  Helps survivors understand
self-destructive behaviors and explore alternatives via writing and drawing
exercises.  To order send $10 for book and $1 for shipping/handling to:

Pittsburgh Action Against Rape (same as above)

81 South 19th St

Pittsburgh, PA  15203-1852

The Cutting Edge Newsletter (same as above)

SAFE Alternatives at Rock Creek Center 1-800-DONTCUT

Provides information and referrals; sends out a really good information packet on
request

S.A.F.E. (Self Abuse Finally Ends

659 Dundas St

London, Ontario