Hello LM_NET:

Is anyone out there in the mood for an adventure?

Chevak School (K-12) in Chevak, Alaska, is in need of a librarian. Chevak
School is located in the Alaskan Bush village of Chevak, a very traditional
Cup’ik Eskimo village. Chevak is in the midst of the region occupied by the
Central Alaskan Yup’ik Eskimo. The Cup’ik people are Yup’ik Eskimos, but they
have their own dialect and are a historically distinct group. Chevak is
located in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta, about 20 air miles from the Bering Sea.
Travel to and from Chevak is by small airplane transport from the hub
community of Bethel, approximately 150 miles southeast of Chevak. Alaska
Airlines offers jet service from Bethel to Anchorage, about 400 miles east of
Bethel. The land around Chevak is vast treeless tundra. From the air,
travelers can see thousands of lakes. During winter, the tundra is
snow-covered but in spring it comes to life with millions of nesting birds
that migrate here from other parts of the world. The first small school in
Chevak was built in the 1950’s. The new school was built in 2002-2004 and
houses about 340 K-12 students. Students rarely have opportunity to travel
from Chevak until they reach their early teens. Employment opportunities are
limited. Subsistence hunting, fishing and gathering play a necessary part in
the local lifestyle.

Our student body numbers about 335 and we have a beautiful new facility only 3
years old. Our K-12 school library opened in January 2004 and is the initial
library experience for practically all students and most adults in this remote
community.

The library is beautiful, the staff is excellent and supportive, and you would
be so appreciated by our wonderful students.
If you are interested and have more questions, you may write or call me
personally.

You can see the job listing on the ATP--Alaska Teacher Placement Website.
www.alaskateacher.org/jobs/

We are a single site school district--Kashunamiut School District. We would
like to hire as soon as possible.

Jean Tennant, Librarian
985 KSD Way
Chevak, Alaska 99563