I wasn't going to jump into this discussion either, but Jacqueline's comment was
interesting:

She said:  I think that the Canadians have the right idea.  At the risk of starting
up another endless "what should we be called" discussion - I think we should call
ourselves "Teacher-Librarians".

In Washington State, those of us who are certificated teachers whose assignment is
in the school library are actually designated "Teacher-Librarians" according to WA
State law -

180-46-009
Definitions.

  (1) "Teacher-librarian" means a certified teacher with a library media
endorsement under WAC 180-82A-202 (1)(i), 180-82-344, or 180-82-346.

     (2) "School library media program" means a school-based program that is
staffed by a certificated teacher-librarian.

[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.320.240. 05-08-013, § 180-46-009, filed 3/28/05,
effective 4/28/05.]

It is quite a mouthful, but I had new business cards printed with
"Teacher-Librarian" and changed all my digital signature lines to reflect it.  I
still get those questions though - "I didn't know you were a teacher" or "How can a
librarian be district 'teacher of the year'?"  My husband suggested I hang all my
diplomas in my office.  It's just part of the job, I guess, but it does get
tiresome.  Now if I could just get my students to stop referring to my aide as "the
other librarian"  SIGH!!

Diane Ferbrache

Teacher-Librarian

Lindbergh High School