In November, Liz Holmes wrote:

If any of you are fans of romantic fiction in the genre of Pride and
Prejudice and
Jane Eyre, you will want to see the DVD of Elizabeth Gaskell's novel  North
and
South (this is not the Civil War story starring Patrick Swayze) that will be

available finally in the U.S. on November 15th and is available for
pre-orders now
from Amazon.

This is an excellent BBC production (their best in my opinion) and is the
story of
a young woman in Victorian England who must move from her idyllic home in
the
South, to a bustling industrial town in the North. There she encounters a
harsh
millowner and thus ensues a breathtaking love story.  This will be a great
addition
to your library's collection, but you will need a copy for yourself as it
will
never stay on your shelves.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have lurked on LM_Net for 10 years and this
is my
first post....but I love this production SO much, I just had to share.  And
just as
a warning, you will not breathe during the last 15 minutes of the film.

Liz Holmes, Librarian
Farley Elementary School, Huntsville, AL
eholmes@hsv.k12.al.us

Based entirely on Liz's recommendation, I purchased the DVD for my 17
year-old-daughter as a Christmas gift. She and I are incurable romantics and
great fans of Bronte and Austen in print but especially in the movies (we
have watched Emma Thompson's Sense and Sensibility and the BBC version of
Pride and Prejudice more times than I can count - Alan Rickman and Colin
Firth just melt our hearts every time!).

Well, we finally got to watch North and South this week since my husband
went out of town leaving us free access to the TV and remote <grin>. Liz, we
cannot thank you enough. It was FABULOUS! Production values, script, acting,
casting - all were exceptional. And for true romantics, the last twenty
minutes made it SO worth it! You were right, Liz - we could hardly breathe!

Now, of course, this experience has raised the bar on what we expect from a
great romantic production. Can anyone recommend other BBC productions that
might rival this one? I will gladly post a hit!

Evie Kremyar, Teacher Librarian

Seton Catholic School

6923 Stow Road

Hudson, Ohio 44236