Janice:
There are numerous sites that offer this type of thing.

Here's a quick review of some of them.

1) We have aerial imagery for the US (and a few other areas) at Ask  with more
to come. The difference being that in many cases the imagery can get closer-in
than others.
http://maps.ask.com
Btw, make sure to check out the fact that we offer both walking and driving
directions and dynamic pushpins. Find a location, now drag the "pin" to a new
location and watch the address change. We also allow up to 10 intermediate
stops when putting together an itinerary. Finally, after your directions are
set, click the green arrow (upper left corner of aerial or steet and aerial
view and your route will be animated.

A colleague and I have been posting interesting locations we've spotted from
above here:

2) MSN Live Local
SOME VERY COOL stuff here.
First, satellite imagery but also, for about 20 major cities so far, bird's
eye imagery. WOW!!!
Here are a few examples:

One of the terminals at JFK
http://digbig.com/4hbpg

Horsehoe Falls at Niagara Falls
http://digbig.com/4hbpj

The Space Needle
http://digbig.com/4hbpk

3) Google Maps and Google Earth
Satellite and some aerial.
http://maps.google.com
http://earth.google.com

4) Although the imagery at TerraFly.com is not
so special anymore, this site has been around for more than 6 years,
and continues to offer something similar sites don't, that is information
about the specific area (down to the block you are looking at).
http://www.terrafly.com
Find an image by entering a location, then click on a precise point.
A page should open with VERY detailed info about the specific spot your
clicking on. Here's an example of one of those pages.
http://n150.cs.fiu.edu/q/tfp?vid=&dt=607.422&qra=68.49.10.112&Lat=40.75561930237581&Long=-73.99041723782857&Source=best_available&Res=4.0&Overlay=map

Finally, don't forget about NASA's app (PC only) that's been around for a
couple of years (began by NASA's learning team) called WorldWind. Worth a
look. I posted several links about some new material they're offering on
ResourceShelf a few hours ago.
http://digbig.com/4hbpm

cheers,
gary

p.s. A9 Maps also offers street level imagery for about 20 cities.
That's right "virtually" walk the streets.
http://maps.a9.com/

and if you long for Paris and other cities in France and Spain. Same thing
here.
 http://digbig.com/4gmra

Quoting Janice Kowalski-Kelly <pani@OLM1.COM>:

> Hello,
>
> Can you recommend a website that uses satellite transmissions for mapping?
>  Some time ago I visited one and was able to zoom in to my back yard.
> Thanks,
>

> Janice L. Kowalski-Kelly, LMS
> Cleveland Hill Elementary School
> Home of the Eagles
> pani@olm1.com
>
> ---
>
> This has been scanned by the onlinemedia.net Barracuda Spam/Virus Firewall

>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
>  * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>  * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://elann.biglist.com/sub/
>  * LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Director of Online Information Resources, Ask.com
Editor, ResourceShelf and DocuTicker
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting

Visit ResourceShelf and Docuticker
http://www.resourceshelf.com
http://www.docuticker.comhttp://www.pixsy.com/search.aspx?p=32