I would like to add a question to Bettina's question about
Follett Bound books, which are a step or two above a Turtlebound
books and usually don't include the lovely dustjackets.  Has
anyone noticed that publishers have begun using the term
"Library Bound" for books that have substandard bindings (hardly
better than glorified paperbacks)?  Two publishers that come to
mind immediately are Wendy Lamb books and Random Children's
books...there are others but I can't think of them right now.  I
have spoken with a few publishers about it and they say there is
no standard for binding but I found that [
http://www.lbibinders.org/Standards.htm ]The Library Binding
Institute has some.  I realize that these standards have more to
do with binding/re-binding books (ones that have come apart,
magazine collections, etc.) but they could easily translate to
publishers binding proceedures.  My main concern is that these
substandard bindings last about as long as your average
paperback book (the cover lasts longer becuase it's a
hardcover).  Books are checked out and read over and over,
therefore, the binding should be stronger so that the book
lasts.  Library bound books should be printed on quality paper
with strong bindings.  They usually cost a bit more but I'm
willing to pay that for a book that won't fall apart after the
3rd student checks it out.  Please share any thoughts about
publishers binding proceedures.  I have tried to do some
research but there's not much out there.

Thanks,
Donna Knott
Middle School Librarian
The Lovett School