I thought I would share with you all a great activity that I did the week before
Spring Break here.  My students loved it!  We had been working on how books are
shelved by the author's last name so I decided to do a modified easter egg hunt
with them.  First I created on my computer about 30 2 inch eggs, listing the title
and the author at the top and then on the bottom of the egg I put the call number.
I had these laminated before cutting them in half like broken eggs.

For my elementary students I gave them the top half and they had to find the book
on which I had taped the bottom half of the book.  They did this in team like a
relay - and they really enjoyed it!  Only one person was allowed to look for the
book at a time, however they could go back to their team and ask anyone for help.
It was a great way for them to realize how we librarians can "cheat" in finding a
book if we just know the author.

I modified it a bit for my middle school students to include non-fiction as well.
I still gave them the title and author of the fiction books (even through in a
couple of paperbacks so they would realize that sometimes you need to look in a
couple of different sections) but I gave them the bottom half of the egg for the
non-fiction books.  This gave them great practice in locating the books on the
shelf - again they did it in teams and only one person could go at a time.  It was
a big hit and a great activity for that day before Spring Break - especially since
I get them last period...

I hope that you all have a great Easter break and get to read some of those great
books that have been building up!

Leanna

Leanna Giesige
Teacher Librarian