As many of you read the latest cover article in School Library Journal, you might
wish you could hear Dr. Ross Todd in person.  I've posted this opportunity before
but think this is a good time to remind you that Dr. Todd will be presenting a one
day workshop on Evidence-based Practice in Columbus, Ohio, this summer.

Dr. Ross will present the one-day workshop on June 21st and repeat it on June 22nd.
 The workshop is sponsored by OELMA and full details are available at
http://www.oelma.org/professional/2006Institute.asp .  The workshop can be taken
for credit, also.  Dr. Todd joined as last year and presented Module 1, "Can Your
Find the Evidence-based Practice in Your School Library?"  Those who attended the
workshop had nothing but great comments to make about the session on that day and
also in the weeks to come as they went back into their libraries and started to
gather evidence about student learning outcomes in their own school libraries.
This truly is a grassroots effort, as described by Dr. Todd in the SLJ article.

I encourage librarians in the states surrounding Ohio to consider this summer
professional development opportunity.  We'd love to have you visit Ohio and hear
Dr. Todd...he is a charismatic speaker, as described by Brian Kenney.  Space is
limited in this workshop, so please register early.

For those who have already taken Module 1, OELMA will be piloting a second
Evidence-based Practice workshop this summer.  It is called "Developing Strategies
for Establishing Evidence-based Practice in Your School Library."   This is a
two-day workshop in a lab setting, so again space is limited.  It will be offered
on July 11 and July 12th and will be taught by two OELMA Past-presidents who worked
very closely with Dr. Todd on the Ohio Study.  It will be held in Centerville, Ohio
(a suburb of Dayton.)  This workshop goes a step further, building on the
information presented in Module 1.  It will investigate some of the tools to use to
collect the data and how to present the data that is gathered.  It ties in
perfectly with Dr. Todd's quote, "We can't wait for somebody outside of ourselves
to rescue us, because nobody is coming to the rescue."

If you have questions about this workshop, please visit the OELMA web page listed
above or you can e-mail me directly.
Chris

Christine Findlay, CRC Director
Centerville City Schools