Thank you to all who responded!  I got some great ideas.  If you have
Channel One or a TV in every room with a school-wide distribution system
it looks like it's a piece of cake.  If not, it's a bit trickier!

Kristy Sandel, librarian
Mason High School
Mason, MI
ksandel@mason.k12.mi.us

We use a computer hooked up to our in-house system which runs a
PowerPoint of announcements.

The school I used to work at had a system called TekNet from Sprint.
With it we could do the things you are asking about and much more. (One
year I had the message scroll :"Happy Valentines Day Please Send
Chocolate to the Media Center!" - it worked too, the secretary left a
pile of hershey kisses on the circulation desk!)
Sprint was also one of our 'Partner's in Education'.

We run a PowerPoint in kiosk mode on a Macintosh computer through our
media distribution system to post all of our announcements on the TVs
around the school.

There is software called DataPoint that will allow you to put a clock
(among other things) in a PowerPoint.  The information is at
http://www.presentationpoint.com/software/datapoint/index.htm The
instructions for adding the clock are located under the specifications
link.

My school has a computer hooked into an averkey and a VCR in our
head-end system (which broadcasts TV channels throughout the school).
The Technology Facilitator sets up powerpoints for each month and it
plays continuously throughout the day. The averkey and VCR setup allows
it to be broadcasted throughout the school on a certain channel.

we used powerpoint on a older computer with a video out card have not
tried to do time yet but does announcements well.

I just discovered with some playing around that on the Macintosh you
can set the time & date show in the window and it will play in front of
thePowerPoint.

I believe eons ago (at least 15 years) the local cable company came
into all of our schools and put TV cables throughout.  We have a
Blonder-Tongue filter that we can broadcast through for in-house.  The
teachers can go to 3 channels...one we use for our TV production, the
other two go out to the world, but I have to put the channels on.  So
only two outside shows can be seen.  We leave it on CNN and the weather
channel unless something special is on.

We don't have the clock displayed on the screen, but our announcements
are simply a loopiing powerpoint being played on a computer in our tv
studio-no cost once the studio was in!

We have a system at our school that scrolls on the tvs. It includes the
date and time. I can add slides that I save as jpegs to it. It is
axis-net.

I don't know about the digital clock, but we do electronic
announcements.

If you have school-wide broadcast system, simply take over one of your
VCR broadcast channels for a computer with a scan converter.

We compose our electronic announcements using PowerPoint and set them
to loop continually.

I disconnected one of the VCRs we use to broadcast to the entire school
and use that channel.  I used the audio cable that came out of the VCR
to the broadcast system and used an RCA coupler to connect it to the
speaker-out port on the computer (I had to use an adapter to convert the
small speaker plug to RCA size).  I also used the video cable that came
out of the VCR to the broadcast system and a coupler to connect the
video-out from the scan converter to the video broadcast cable.