Hi all,
Many thanks to all of you who responded to my posting regarding a "book
to change my life."  I received several suggestions--quite varied,
interesting, and thought-provoking.  I am sharing this with the teacher
and will be interested in his first choice.    The books are in no
order--I did try to separate by fiction and non-fiction.  Many thanks
to  you all--

Fiction
The Mysterious Journey of Edward Tulane by DiCamillo is wonderful.
The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream  by Paulo Coelho is
terrific.
When I was in high school (back in the stone age), the book that
changed my life was _Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee_ by Dee Brown.
The Color of Water--Mcbride
A must read is "Touching Spirit Bear", it is great.
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon THE RED TENT—by Anita
Diamont
I would suggest Look Homeward, Angel, followed by Of Time and the
River  both by Thomas Wolfe and/or A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar.
Orhan Pamuk-- Snow
Og Mandino's The Twelfth Angel
  Liss. Conspiracy of Paper.
  Follet. A Pillar of Iron.
  Coetzee. Age of Iron.
Fleischman,  Paul.  Mind's Eye
Mikaelsen, Ben.  Petey
Paulsen, Gary.  Tracker
Rhue, Morton.  The Wave
Sinclair, Upton.  The Jungle
Steinbeck, John.  The Grapes of Wrath
Mark Haddon, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
  Uzodinma Iweala, Beasts of No Nation
  Ian McEwan, Atonement
  Jonathan Franzen, The Corrections
  Jeffrey Eudenides, Middlesex
, David Sedaris's "Me Talk Pretty One Day"...
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
James Clavell "Children's Story" is one of the best books I have read.
Stones from the river.  Ursula Hegi
Yellow Raft on Blue Water Michael Dorris
Ishmael_ by Daniel Quinn
"The Citadel" by A.J. Cronin
"The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran
"The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck
"Watership Down" by Richard Adams
"The Dead Are Mine" by James E. Ross
"Grendel" by John Gardner
The Water is Wide by Conroy or One Child by Hayden

Nonfiction
Fuller. Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight.
  The Screwtape Letters or Mere Christianity both by C.S. Lewis.
The Bible
Living a Life that matters by Kushner
Kohl, Herbert.  36 Children
Kozol, Jonathan.  Death at an Early Age
The Autobiography of Malcolm X
A Soldier of the Great War_ by Helprin.
"The World is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century"  by
Thomas L. Friedman
"The Five People You Meet in Heaven" or "A Man for All SeasonS

Teresa Sterchi
Librarian
Alcoa High School
532 Faraday St.