From:  Dee Ratterree
PS 75 M
New York, NY  10025
dratterree@nyc.rr.com

Subject:  Cookbooks for New Orleans
This was posted locally

  From: PamSHolley@aol.com
  Date: April 11, 2006 10:48:37 PM EDT
  To: Young Adult Library Services Association List <yalsa-l@ala.org>
  Subject: [YALSA-L:5710] A Request from a New Orleans Librarian

  Hi All,

  I know that many YALSA members have wanted to help those libraries and librarians
affected by last years hurricanes, and that many of you have had an opportunity to
do so. Another opportunity has just presented itself which I'm posting on behalf of
Betty Lazarus, a YALSA member and school librarian from Metairie, LA. Betty has
served as chair of our local arrangements committee for several of our New Orleans
Conferences, so some of you may have met her.

  Several days ago I received this e-mail from Betty:
  This may seem a little strange but you have no idea how many requests I get for
cookbooks, since almost everyone kept cookbooks on the first floor and that was
what was flooded. My own mother is getting ready to cook for passover, and only has
the recipes that I had copies of, since she lost everything.

  Thank you so much for any help that you can give me in the cookbook collection.
We are recovering slowly here, but are thrilled that ALA is coming!  Can you
believe it's been seven months and the effects of the storm still effect us every
single day.

  For those of you who would like to help, any type of cookbook is needed. They
should be sent to Betty B. Lazarus, GOP Library, 4000 West Esplanade, Metairie, LA
70002.
  As Betty said in further explanation:

  I would like to donate them to both libraries and individuals, I can't really
describe the devastation here,  Everyone from the very rich to the very poor , from
the very young to the elderly are affected by the hurricane and flooding, so people
lost a lifetime of family recipes and cookbooks.  Then holidays come up, and
families don't have the recipies that they have used for generations.  If you
haven't actually been here and lived this life, it's difficult to really "get it" ,
I know, that's why we encourage everyone to come.

  My thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.

  Pam

  Pam Spencer Holley
  President, YALSA, a division of the American Library Association
  [www.ala.org/yalsa/]
  Audiobooks, It Is! column, VOYA
  What Do Children and Young Adults Read Next?, vol. 1-6
  13064 Conquest Point Lane
  Hallwood, VA 23359
  757/824-3233
  FAX 757/824-0428