You owe him nothing for the unsolicited copy. That's a risk he takes by
sending them out as such. It's like when you get address labels from various
charities...they try to lay a guilt trip on you since they "went to all this
trouble and expense" but it just isn't your problem. Don't use them if it
makes you uncomfortable; the same applies here. If he gets snarky, mail the
book back to him.

Regarding the author-visit, you could just say that you'll keep his offer in
mind and will contact him if you're interested in the future. Be firm. Don't
get apologetic. You don't owe him any other explanation. He's asking a big
favor from you and your students (your collective time and attention) and if
the book isn't of a quality that's worthy of the time involved, then it's
your duty to protect your students from wasting their time and money. Good
for you! You're to be congratulated on making a professional decision on
their behalf.

If he asks for your opinion of his tome, I would avoid getting into any
editorializing. You never know how someone will react to "constructive
criticism." He could become belligerent or argumentative; on the other hand,
he might value your input. It's just a general caution on my part...there
are a lot of people on the margin out there and you don't know which side of
the edge he's operating from. You could suggest that he contact a
professional book editor or even a college professor in his field for
unbiased help. He's probably already tried this...which is why he had to
publish it himself.

"I'm really not able to discuss this with you any further" should put an end
to it. Hang up. You can always hang up! I don't mean to sound so rude but
I've run into some folks who are very persistent; it can almost become
harassment. Various book vendors have become particularly aggressive now
that so many of us buy from Amazon and other online sources. I hope this
helps; others may have a different slant on your issue.

Reggie

BOOKS. The original laptops. If Reading was a Varsity Sport, Librarians
would rule the world.

Reggie Buresh / Librarian & Webmaster
Mahtomedi High School
8000 75th St. North