Thank you very much for all your help!  Our good LM_NET friend Dan Robinson
jokingly suggested I should wait until after my interview to post the hit, and it
almost worked out that way!

  For anyone who missed the original post, I was wanting ideas on topics to check
up on before my preliminary interview tomorrow.  (I have to impress this admin lady
first before I can talk to the principals.)  I am trying to get back into the
library field after a few years' absence.  As I said in my posting, I'm confident I
can do the job, I just didn't want any surprises in the interview.

second is more situational.  Sorry I can't credit everyone--I forgot to ask in my
posting for permission to use names.  I also apologize for the formatting, because
some bizarre things happened when I pasted the replies!

  Here I go!  Somebody out there needs me!

  Cindy Denning
  once and future librarian
  Collinsville, TX
  cynden744@verizon.net

  Part 1

Reading/test scores, blogs, wikis, Guided Inquiry (related to Big Six), Technology,

Budgets/job cuts, lexiles and levels students are allowed to check out,
collaboration, Internet dependence and evaluation,
state standards

Part 2

* . . .  The principal was delightful and told me up front that he knew little of

regular library happenings, and I don't think he really cared much about
circulation statistics and such.   . . . He needs staff who either know how to use
this equipment (technology) OR who aren't afraid to figure it out and give it a
try.

I think the technology advances are hard for all of us to keep up with,

and he's feeling the pressure to use it but doesn't know how, either.

The other things we talked about were special programs to get kids

involved.  We also discussed a coffee bar setup outside the library with a café
atmosphere.

*Find out about the school- what is their educational philosophy?  Are they using
AR?  What is the yearly materials budget?  Will there be an aide? Full time? Part
time?  What databases are they currently subscribed to?  How current is their
collection?  Is it a fixed schedule?  How many classes a week?  Will you be
responsible for Audio Visual?  Will you be responsible for the book fair? Do they
have a book fair?  What classroom research projects is the present librarian
working on?  What do they consider the strengths of the library program?  What
would they like to see improved?  Are there any renovation plans in the works?  Ask
to walk through the collection? Where is your desk? Who do you directly report to?
What are the hours of the library? Are you open after school? Are you paid extra
for after school or summer?  What do you bring to the table? (committees that you
have served on in school and community... special collections, bibliographies, and
curriculum that
 you have created... be prepared to brag a little about
cooperative projects that have succeeded... be prepared to give an example of a
real disaster and how you successfully coped and turned the situation around.—From
Lisa Von Drasek

*Always bring the discussion back to "what is good for the children".

*Probably more than "library school" information may be your approach to handling
some of the issues that come up here a lot. You might ask if there is a policies
and procedures manual; handling book challenges; opinions on filters (try to find
out in advance whether or not the school uses them so you don't shoot yourself in
the foot!); ask about library usage by kids and teachers and be prepared to express
your position on collaboration and need for administrative support (have some facts
from the Lance studies); what is the relationship between the library and the tech
dept; is there a regional consortium for purchasing and support; try to glean the
attitude of the principal about the library especially with regard

to flexible or fixed scheduling;

Maureen S. Irwin

Library Director

Rye Country Day School