We have His Dark Materials in our middle school, 2 or 3 multiple sets.
The first book in the series we have in the bookroom (set of 5) for use
in literature circles, purchased by the district for classroom use in
MS. SLJ and English Journal reviews are for 5th or 6th grade up.

One point to make: those that cry most loudly about this series (or the
author's own beliefs) being non or anti-christian and therefore should
not be on the shelf or watched (in the case of the theatrical
production) are basing that opinion on their belief that Christianity
should be the standard used to judge books. It is a narrow, constrained
view of the world, not looking at the variety and richness of human
imagination and thought. We have Jewish, Muslim, Christian, Buddhist,
Atheist,Agnostic, Secular Humanist, and that's the short list students
in our school; why would it be wrong to have a book discussing any of
those points of view as right or wrong on the shelves? MS is a time to
explore and think and gain an understanding of a world growing large
with possibilities with each new bit of knowledge or idea.

Phillip Pullman has written passionately on child_lit list and in the
British Times Literary supplement over the years.
 From the child_lit list:

Philip Pullman /Sun Nov 15 10:19:56 EST 1998/
<snip> If you recognized an allusion that I put there, good for both of
us. If I put one there and you didn't, one of us has missed out. If you
recognised one that I didn't put there - what then? Your experience of
the text is richer, so you win, I suppose. <snip>

As for research, my method is always to read as much as I find
interesting, and then stop; and when I need a fact, to make one up. The
function of research for a novelist is to enable him/her to invent
convincingly. 'Allusions, imagined"
<https://email.rutgers.edu/pipermail/child_lit/1998-November/005121.html>

Robert Eiffert
Librarian, Pacific MS  Vancouver WA
pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library beiffert@egreen.wednet.edu
Librarian in the Middle Blog: www.beiffert.net  robert@beiffert.net

"A government consultant with close ties to the civilian leadership in the Pentagon
said that Bush was “absolutely convinced that Iran is going to get the bomb” if it
is not stopped. He said that the President believes that he must do “what no
Democrat or Republican, if elected in the future, would have the courage to do,”
and “that saving Iran is going to be his legacy.”   Seymour Hersh 'The Iran Plans'
NewYorker 17-4-06 <http://www.newyorker.com/printables/fact/060417fa_fact>