This got me curious, so I decided to check it out.  I started with Google (keyword
"Scott Savage"), and got ten pages of hits, but none from sites I am familiar with,
none of the networks or news agencies.  I skimmed over all the pages and found lots
of what seemed to be very strongly conservative sites, lots of blogs.  One of the
sites listed the university involved as Oregon Health and Science University.  All
the rest cited Ohio State.  There were maybe a dozen what appeared to be extraneous
hits.

  Next, I wondered if perhaps this might be some new urban legend, so I went to the
urban legends section of about.com and searched "Scott Savage," OSU lawsuit, and
Ohio State University lawsuit, with no results.

  I decided that it would be a good idea to check the news sites, so I went to
yahoo.com, foxnews.com, cbs.com, msnbc.com, and abc.com and searched "Scott
Savage."  None of these had this story.  One of them (sorry, by now I can't
remember which was what) found several citations from WorldNet Daily.  I'm not
familiar with that one.  Several sponsors kept turning up.  Amazon.com seems to
have an author by that name, or maybe they just assume that everyone you search on
a news site is an author.  Classmates.com said they had I think it was 28 Scott
Savages!

  I wasn't really doing serious research on this, so I didn't take notes, but what
I gathered is that Savage recommended a book (maybe several books) regarded as
anti-gay and the university was investigating him for sexual harrassment.  This
apparently occured at some kind of committee meeting where he was asked for
recommendations.  A very conservative Christian group threatened a lawsuit if the
investigation was not dropped.  It seems that the investigation has now been
dropped, but whether that was due to outside pressure, or whether they just decided
that the whole thing was unnecessary I don't know.  The committee evidently did
ask, and I would think--personal opinion here--they could have voted down his
recommendations without all the hoopla.

  Since I didn't find any sources that I know to be authoritative and unbiased, I
don't think we really know any more now than before.  If anyone has some time on
his hands, itmight be interesting to know the real story.  Now I've had my little
break looking for this, it's time to do someting constructive, like putting my
little would-be night-owl daughter to bed.

  Happy reading!  (and I promise, no more postings for a few days!--I think.)

  Cindy Denning
  once and future librarian
  Collinsville, TX
  cynden744@verizon.net

  Computers will never replace books.  Who wants to curl up in bed with a good
computer?