Shonda Brisco <sbrisco@FWCDS.ORG> Wrote:
> While we might look at the surface of this issue and take sides based upon >whose
>agenda is being attacked, I think one of the major concerns I have is >the >idea
>that when a university librarian offers suggestions, he is being >accused >of
>harassment---......
> How many >of us have a "clearly balanced" collection on all topics that might >be
>offensive to others?
> I'm not flaming anyone....I'm just asking the profession to think beyond the
> initial situation and ask "how would this affect me?"  route to take today?
> (Sorry, it's just one of those days....I had to "rabblerouse" a little...)
> ~Shonda
Hi Shonda and Fellow LM_Netters,
I guess I am part of the rabble that has been roused:

I do agree that the larger issue is a librarian’s freedom to offer suggestions
without being attacked for those suggestions. However, there are always limits to
what I will bring in to make a “balanced collection.” I’m not going to offer books
about  how to make a bomb, how to commit suicide, etc. And I’m not going to bring
in hate literature that disparages races, ethnic groups, etc. So the question is
whether anti-gay literature is hate literature. I say yes, it is. Certainly,
anti-gay literature can be harmful in high school and college settings when we
consider that among high school and college students:

•84% personally had been verbally harassed at school because of their sexual
orientation;

•27.1% had been physically harassed because of their gender expression; 11.5% had
been assaulted on that basis;

•64.3% felt unsafe in their school because of their sexual orientation;

•LGBT students are far more likely than their non-gay peers to run away from home,
to experience academic problems, and to struggle with substance abuse, low
self-esteem, and depression;

•Gay youth are 4 times as likely than their non-gay counterparts to have attempted
suicide.

(Source: Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund. Fact Sheet.
http://www.lambdalegal.org/binary-data/LAMBDA_PDF/pdf/158.pdf)

As the advisor of CRHS South GSA, I am often citing these facts and see the harmful
effects of harassment firsthand.

Just my thoughts from one of the rabble ---

Debra Gniewek
Librarian
CRHS South
2002 Rock Way