From: David Lininger [mailto:tss003@TNP.MORE.NET]
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: Don't You Dare Share That Book List

DAVID DENNING wrote:

>  I decided that it would be a good idea to check the news sites, so I went
to yahoo.com, foxnews.com, cbs.com, msnbc.com, and abc.com and searched
"Scott Savage."  None of these had this story.  One of them (sorry, by now I
can't remember which was what) found several citations from WorldNet Daily.
I'm not familiar with that one.

I've been following this story for the past few days. WorldNetDaily is
an Internet-only news site run by veteran journalists. Here's the latest:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49809

For those who don't have time to read the whole story, here's a brief
summary. The reference librarian, Mr. Savage, was one member of a
committee tasked with putting together a reading list. When he noticed
that most of the titles under consideration were of a left-leaning
nature, he suggested some from the other side of the spectrum. Three
professors took offense, got the faculty senate to vote to condemn Mr.
Savage, then found out they couldn't do that. The three filed official
sexual harassment charges, which apparently have now been dropped. Mr.
Savage has not yet filed a lawsuit, but is considering doing so.

What is interesting about this whole thing is that Mr. Savage is a
member of a religious group that is akin to the Old Order Amish, in that
they avoid most modern "conveniences" (he uses a horse and buggy for
transportation). Perhaps this whole incident will help to change the
view people have of librarians! We may be quiet, but we can be strong.

--
David Lininger, kb0zke,
MS/HS librarian