Fellow LMers:

This HIT is long overdue and for that I appologize.  I have taken over 9 pages of
information on free online databases/websites and have cut it down to a 2 page
handout of the most essential databases that I felt my staff and students in an
International setting would find the most useful.  Below you will find my original
Target followed by the information that I have cut and paste from the document I
created.  I hope that you find some of this useful as well!

I am currently teaching a course for 9th graders on Information Skills.  For the
lessons on online databases I would like to develop a list of the best free online
databases to be used for research (such as information please almanac, etc).  I
have several, but I thought I would call upon the collective wisdom of this group
to provide the best of the best.  If you wouldn't mind sharing some of your
favorites, along with the URL, I will compile the suggestions and send out a HIT so
that we can all benefit.

Awesome Stories
http://www.awesomestories.com

            This free subscription databases offers a plethora of primary source
documents for many different events in history.

Best of History Web Sites
http://besthistorysites.net

            The jumping off point lists 10 broad topics to choose from before
directing you to a listing of quality websites specific to that topic.

Digital History
http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu

            A quality research tool for high quality historical resources organized
much like a digital textbook offering direct links to primary sources as well as
various other multimedia links.

Earthtrends: the Environmental Information Portal
http://earthtrends.wri.org

            Looking for information on environmental, social or economic issues
that are shaping our world today?  This is a great place to start researching!

Elemental Data Index
http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Elements/cover.html

            This site compliments the WebElements Periodic Table
(http://www.webelements.com), another useful source, offering specific information
on periodic elements and their properties.

The Encyclopedia Mythica
http://www.pantheon.org

            Everything and anything related to the ancient world of myths and
folklore.

Foreign Government Resources
http://www.lib.umich.edu/govdocs/foreign.html

            Organized and maintained by the University of Michigan Library this
site lists, first by continent, then by country, various documents related to their
government.

GEO-3 Data Compendium
http://geocompendium.grid.unep.ch

            This database provided by the Global Environment Outlook, reports on
global statistics on population, climates, health, etc.

National Institutes of Health
http://health.nih.gov/

            Complied by the U.S. government this site offers great links to a vast
array of information, including information on body systems and diseases.

Occupational Outlook Handbook
http://www.bls.gov/oco

            An great resource provided by the United States government on various
careers.

Science Daily Magazine
http://www.sciencedaily.com

            Offers a collection of links to the most recent science, technology and
medical research results from leading universities and organizations around the
world.

State Department Background Notes
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei

            Prepared by the regional bureaus of the U. S. Department of State,
Background Notes are factual publications about the land, people, history,
government, political conditions, economy, and foreign relations of independent
states, some dependencies, and areas of special sovereignty.  They include
excellent overviews of history and economics for each country or region.

Timeline of Art History
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/splash.htm

            "Timeline of Art History is a chronological, geographical, and thematic
exploration of the history of art from around the world, as illustrated especially
by the Metropolitan Museum of Art's collection."

United Nations Cyber School Bus
http://cyberschoolbus.un.org

            This official UN website, built especially for educators, offers
country information along with information on the United Nations and their areas of
interest.  One interesting feature is their country comparison charts offering many
different levels of comparisons.

U. S. Census Bureau International Dababase
http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/idbsum.html

            Just as the title indicates, this databases has current population
demographics for international countries.

World  Factbook
http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html

            Offers a huge collection of information from country history to
military information to various political, social and economic issues the country
is facing.

World Newspapers
http://world-newspapers.com

            Contains a collection of direct links to an extensive list of
newspapers published around the world.

New York Public Library Free Online Databases
http://www.nypl.org/databases/index.cfm?act=2&free=yes

In addition New York Public Library has taken the time to index over 170 free
online databases along with brief summaries of these databases.  Included in this
list of databases are very specific sites such as Europa, which lists current
information on the countries in the European Union, to general databases such as
World Factbook or Barteby's Reference database.  There is something for everyone on
this site!

Leanna Giesige
Teacher Librarian
International School of Ouagadougou