Interesting scenario! Oh yes, "even paranoid people have enemies" as they
say.

It does indeed sound like someone is being helpful in alerting him to
questionable materials (in their opinion). It would be interesting to know
if anyone else is having their mail scrutinized in this manner.

I don't think I'd belabor the point...you explained it well in that vendors
sell mailing lists, you have no control over being sent free samples, no one
is critiquing labels to see if there's an elementary school on them...and
indeed who's to say that a school might not be getting a copy for their
staff lounge, etc. I wouldn't advocate spending tax dollars on this but
stranger things have happened. I could even see a HS getting a copy to use
in a journalism / newspaper class or as an example of bad writing, so to
speak. Again, I certainly wouldn't spend the money on it but you never know
what someone else would deem useful.

Since you say you won't be dealing with him after this year I'd just ride it
out for now. My bigger concern would be who in your building is censoring
your mail. Hard to find out; maybe someone else on this list-serve has some
thoughts along those lines.

As a humorous aside, let me tell you what happened to one of our teachers
many years ago. Some kids tore out those little postcard subscription things
in magazines, took a whole bunch, and signed up one of our English teachers
for subscriptions. They were the "bill me later" kind. Had them sent to him
at the school, and of course the bills soon followed. They got such a kick
out of this they did the same thing with Playboy, Maxim, etc. and of course
THOSE started coming. They eventually petered out but it caused quite a stir
at the time. We are now vigilant in tearing out all the little postcards and
so on before the magazines go on the shelves. Lesson learned!

Reggie

BOOKS. The original laptops. If Reading was a Varsity Sport, Librarians
would rule the world.

Reggie Buresh / Librarian & Webmaster
Mahtomedi High School
8000 75th St. North