I inherited a library that hadn't been inventoried or weeded in many a year,
five years ago. The summer before I began, I weeded 6,000 books and rearranged
the library. The following summer, I was lucky enough to have an Eagle Scout
candidate offer to do an inventor as his project. He organized a group of boy
scouts to come in in small groups over a week or two. I supervised. That
inventory turned up 2500 missing books out of a collection of 20,000 volumes. If
the average cost of a book is $18, that translates into $45,000 worth of missing
books. By the way, my library is an open space, so it is very easy for books
to walk. I used that figure to lobby for a reconfiguration of the library so
that I can get doors to lock. I still don't have them, however, the board is
still interested in solving the problem.

I too, work to the very last day and wanted to be paid to do another
inventory about two summers ago. The principal was willing to put it before the
board,
but griped about setting a precedent so I withdrew the request. I am thinking
of doing one this summer on my own time because I am preparing to go for
national certification and want the collection in tip top shape.

Brenda Kahn
Librarian/ Webmaster
Haworth Public School (K-8)
Haworth, NJ 07641