From: School Library Media & Network Communications on behalf of Barbara Paciotti
Sent: Fri 4/21/2006 7:04 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: When Age of Information began...

I don't remember which book I read it in--I've been reading lots of
info/tech books in the past year--but one author says he thinks the
Information Age actually began with the invention of the telephone,
because that marked the first time information could be
_instantaneously_ shared _without being face to face_.  (If someone
remembers which book this is in, I'd love to have the reminder.)

However, I think most would mark the beginning of the Information Age
with the development of ARPANET.  From Wikipedia (yeah, I know, but for
tech info it's accurate, complete, and comprehensive).

"The first ARPANET link was established on October 29
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_29>, 1969
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969>, between the IMP at UCLA and the IMP
at SRI [Stanford Research Institute]. By December 5
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_5>, 1969
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969>, the entire 4-node network [adding
UC-Santa Barbara and Univ of Utah] was connected."

Barbara Paciotti, SLMIS
Barbara Bush MS, Irving TX
barupa@swbell.net

From:    edward nizalowski <enizalowski@NVCS.STIER.ORG>
Subject: Target: When did the Age of Information Begin?

Hello,

            Everyone refers to the age we now live in as the Age of
Information (at least, nearly everyone).  Is there any agreed upon year
when our so-called "Age of Information" began?  I have been using c.1975
as a starting point.

=20

=20

Ed Nizalowski, SMS