As you said, the final numerical answer is always a multiple of 9. All
the symbols change each time you click the crystal ball which allows the
symbol choices to change as well. If you want to know ahead of time
(without doing any math) what the symbol will be, just take a look at
the number 9. Someone asked this same question and maybe this link will
help explain it.

Robin Collmorgen
Librarian~Hudson ISD
Lufkin, Texas

>>> DAVID DENNING <cynden744@VERIZON.NET> 04/22/06 11:30 AM >>>
O wise ones:

  My friend just sent me a math-related "mind-reading" site, and I have
figured out how it works, but I can't prove it. If you want to look at
it first, here's the link.

  http://louhi.kempele.fi/~skyostil/archive/dump/flash/psychic.swf

  The directions say to choose any two-digit number, add the digits
together, and subtract them from the original number.  Then you look at
the list of numbers and find the matching symbol for the result.  You do
this without entering anything into the computer.  Then you fix the
symbol in your mind and click on the circle, which then reveals your
symbol.

  I tried this with several numbers and always came up with the same
symbol.  I noticed that the final numbers were always multiples of nine.
 So here is my question.  I think that any time you add the digits of a
two-digit number together and subtract from the original number, you
will get a multiple of nine.  Is that true?  How do you prove it without
going through this process for every two-digit number?  I'm pretty sure
there's an n+1 involved here somewhere!

  Thank you very much!

  Cindy Denning
  once and future librarian