http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2006/04/14/news/community/fri02.txt

Student charged for death threat

The senior says he sees the teacher as a friend, post was just
'something to do'

Sheriff's deputies arrested a 17-year-old Alsea high school student this
week after he posted a message on the Internet saying he planned to kill
his math teacher, the Benton County Sheriff's Office said.

The student, a senior at Alsea High School, posted an animated counter
on the social networking site MySpace.com. Beneath the graphic, which
counts down days, hours and minutes, are the words, "Until I kill Mr.
..." The math teacher's name is included at the end of the sentence.

I HIGHLY recommend downloading this story and using it as a "teachable
moment" for every middle and high school kid. Some kids are creating online
threats that really are just jokes. I do not know whether or not this is the
case in this incident. Students need to know that authorities are going to
take this seriously!!!

But also discuss the need to immediately report these kinds of threats --
just in case they are real. If students conclude the statement is just a
joke and it really is real, something really bad could happen. If it is
eventually found that it was not a real threat, the situation can be
remedied.

BOTH messages must be communicated.

BTW, I fully address this in my book at the URL below.
Please forward this message to everywhere you think appropriate. We need to
educate kids about this!

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Cruelty, Threats, and Distress, a resource for educators, is now available
online at http://cyberbully.org.