Sorry, that last message should have said International School Library
ideas. This project is for school libraries in all parts of the world.
Please consider participating.
Randi

School Library Personnel,

BOOKMARK PROJECT:

In her recent email to her distribution list, Margriet Ruurs (author of a
number of picture books including My Librarian is a Camel' (Boyds Mills
Press, ISBN 1590780930) wrote about IBBY Pakistan’s ‘A Book Marks Our
World’ project with Basarat Kazim, who recently was instrumental in the
creation of IBBY Pakistan .  I asked Margriet if we could expand this
program for ISLD and she has given us permission to do this.  I will be
setting up a database of schools who are interested in participating in the
bookmark page.  Once we have a number of participants, we will post the
list of schools and then assist the schools in finding a match.

The project is very simple.  I will collect a list of schools who are
interested in participating in this project.  We will publish this database
in a few months.  Once matched to a school in a different part of the
world, your students will make a homemade bookmark (any style, shape
etc.  – be creative) and then the students will write the title, author &
illustrator, and one or two lines about their favourite book on the book
mark.  You will ship them to your matched school in time for distribution
for ISLD (October 23).

The purpose of this project and the IBBY Pakistan project is to help to
promote international understanding and friendship through books.

FRENCH SPEAKING SCHOOLS:

This one comes from a recent request from a teacher-librarian in Quebec,
Canada, where the predominate language is French.  She would like to liaise
with other schools where French is the official language.  She would like
to develop a list of interested schools to share with her colleagues in
Quebec.  The main purpose is to celebrate ISLD, but she is hoping to have a
continuing partnership with the schools beyond October 2006.

For more information on the above projects, or if you are interested in
participating in either project, contact me at
<mailto:rmulholland@shaw.ca>rmulholland@shaw.ca

If you have an international project in which you would like to involve
ISLD participants, please contact me at
<mailto:rmulholland@shaw.ca>rmulholland@shaw.ca

Happy celebrations,

Rick

ISLD coordinator

<mailto:rmulholland@shaw.ca>rmulholland@shaw.ca

Please share this email with other interested school library personnel

Randi Louise Hermans
BCTLA Vice President
Teacher-librarian
Evans Elementary K-6