NVU <http://www.nvu.com/>is a good freeware program. I've used it for
projects and have had 8th graders work with it. - Loads fast, shows
changes immediately.  Has a good CSS editor and shows source code
easily. Even in WYSIWYG mode NVU can show where  tags are.

Runs from its own folder, download and go, no install to deal with.

If the teacher uses it a bit and does a short tutorial on getting
started, the kids should be very successful.

CSS is pretty important now and will be increasingly so: most database
driven sites use CSS to design page with.

Robert Eiffert
Librarian, Pacific MS  Vancouver WA
pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library beiffert@egreen.wednet.edu
Librarian in the Middle Blog: www.beiffert.net  robert@beiffert.net

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're
born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then
you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the
degree to which you are free..." - Utah Phillips