Hello,

Several weeks ago I asked for your best story area decorations and of course, there
were wonderful replies.  Thanks to all who made suggestions!

I have a little puppet theater in my story area and story character puppets - my
students love it.  I also have a lot of donated beanie babies that I match up to
books by character and the students read the books to the characters and even
sometimes check them out with their books.  (This is an inner city school).

------
I bought my book lamp at Hobby Lobby.  They have many book-themed items
that might work.  Also, Children's Book Council has a nice catalog.  I
think there's a book throw in it.  I have the BookWoman throw over my
reading chair.
-------
I have seen the following set up in two schools which seen to use this
reading area quite often.
As a matter of fact your semi-closed space is the perfect start.
The set up consists of some huge steps made of wood and covered with rug.
The steps are done in a semi-circle or a semi-stop sign shape which allows
the student to sit on a step and lean back against the side of the upper
step.
The set up resembles a small theatre which allows each student to have a
clear view of the person doing the read out loud. I have seen an entire
lower grade k-3 fit at one time on these steps.
---------
I found a lady selling wooden books at a craft fair, they had book titles on the
spine, I bought 5.  I then had a friend drill a hole through the center of them and
then added a lamp kit that I bought at Lowe's.  I bought a lamp shade that you
could cover with material at Hobby Lobby and I found some material that had
bookworms on it and covered the shade.  It is really cute, if I say so myself.  The
students are always making comments on it, I have it sitting on a small table by
the chair that I sit in.
-------
check out www.bigcozybooks.com they have wonderful furniture and things.  You may
not be able to afford their stuff, but they may inspire you.
--------
How about lap-sized stuffed animals or book characters that the kids can
read to or check out along with an appropriate book?
--------
I'm not sure if this is in the archives anywhere,
but I do know what my K-5 students consider
one of the most memorable features of the
library: the rug. Mature 8th graders, coming
back to visit, say with real affection "the rug
is still here!" Of course it is. They love it. They
love it so much that I shopped for a 2nd rug,
so that Easy and Fiction would each have one.
Both are almost 9' x 12'. Both come from
Childcraft (the Pond rug with the small bridge,
and the Ocean rug with the orca and other sea
life). Both are much loved at my K-5. In addition
to the extra beauty of something on the floor,
it makes the floor an attractive place for the
kids to stick when they grab a book off the
shelf and sit down to read.
-----------------
When I was little and used to go to the public library for storytimes, they had a
great mural painted on the wall. It was full of kids reading, climbing trees,
flying a kite, etc. I still remember it vividly today and was greatly upset when
the building was sold and the mural wall destroyed. Depending on your storytime set
up, you might consider a mural like that.
----------------
The thing we have we love the most is a three tier story terrace.  We use if
for every class when we do story sessions.  We have found it increases
student comfort, decreases the wiggles, helps focus attention, and works
well as a deterrent to bad behavior, when those students who can't behave
are told they can't sit on it.  It was purchased for us by our parent
organization, and has been one of the best things we ever did.
---------------------
I just purchased a bunch of puppets - finger and hand
-  from Penworthy. Great decorations and story props.
---------------------
In the past I have done that went over well were

An oriental carpet (@$100) It was my magic carpet because when we were
reading we were magically transported . . .
We had bean bag chairs, too.

I had a teepee @$800 The kids got points for reading books and when they
got a certain # of books read and earned points, they were allowed to
read in the teepee.  The teepee was canvas with willow poles.  It was
about 8' diameter.  We had teachers paint Native American / Indian
symbols on the outside of the teepee.  The teepee actually set up pretty
well; it took 2 people.  I put pillows and cushions inside.

For older kids I did wicker furniture.  It was inexpensive, cute and the
color scheme was easily changed by getting cushions from Home Depot,
Walmart or ?????  I had 2 chairs and a love seat with a small table.  I
got a place mat that matched the cushions for the "table cloth" on the
table.

What I have always wanted to do and hope to get it done someday, is a
claw foot bathtub with blankets and pillows so the kids could read in
the tub.  Well, someday!!!!!
I love my ABC gridded rug from Demco.
I am able to make a seating chart and finally learn the little ones' names!
I like it better than other designs because each child can be assigned a square for
the year.
They have table lamps that are made out of stacked books.

--
Diane Averett/Librarian
Kerr-Vance Academy