I think tile is the best choice for a library. Our library has carpet and is
shampooed thoroughly only twice a year. When I think about the chocolate milk spill
that happened yesterday while I was out of the library, I wish we had carpet. I
don't WANT to think about the kindergartner's shoelaces dragging damply across the
carpet after bathroom visits....
My daughter's allergist: "Carpets are the cesspool of the modern building."
As for the quiet factor, why should the library be quieter than a well-run
classroom? Every room in the school has had carpet replaced, due to hygiene
concerns. Why should the library be different? I keep the library quiet, the carpet
doesn't.
In fairness to the other side, I did some research and found that IF the carpet is
allowed time to out-gas toxic chemicals and IF it is cleaned regularly with a HEPA
filter vacuum cleaner, carpet can be OK.
Many of my colleagues (and my current principal) prefer carpet, but not me.

Melissa

Melissa Techman, MLS
Broadus Wood Elementary School,
185 Buck Mtn. Rd,