I am in the planning stages for  a wonderful year long collaborative unit
for next year.  Here is the situation.  I will be working with a two member
team of tenth grade teachers. One will teach English and the other will
teach current events. We would like to link the two courses by having
students read books that will correlate to various current events that are
being discussed throughout the year.  I am asking LM-NET members to offer
titles of nonfiction, fiction, and preferably historical fiction that would
be applicable to the above scenario.

We are planning to require one book of the same title to be read by each
student each quarter of the year.  The range of reading abilities is wide,
but I will take all suggested titles and lookup at their lexile level to
determine what will work for various students.

Some of the current event topics that will be discussed include the following:
-health
-medical research
-cloning
-justice around the world
-jobs, business, labor
-education around the world
-ethics of any kind
-technology
-international relations
-comparisons of governments
-entertainment……censorship, its value, its effect
-society and class

We are currently planning to read The Great Gatsby and The Jungle; however
we are looking for other suggestions.

Other titles that are under consideration:
Up Molasses Mountain (Julie Baker)……[social acceptance…unions]
Life Is Funny: a Novel (E.R. Frank)…..[social issues]
Throat Culture (Christopher Golden)….. [futuristic medical]
Brave New World (Huxley)……..[futuristic genetics]
Star Split (Kathryn Laskey)……..[futuristic genetics]
The Giver (Lowry)………[society…..ethics]
Touching Spirit Bear (Mikaelson)……[justice system]
Forty Signs of Rain (Kim Stanley Robinson)……..[environmental issues]
Black and White (Paul Volponi)……..[justice system]
The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)……[morality]
The Jungle (Sinclair)……[immigration, working conditions]

TIA for any and all suggestions.

Frank Moore, Librarian
North Myrtle Beach High School
Little River, SC