I have gotten lots of responses to my post about game boards on a transparency
instead of a poster board. As I have said to many of you, I'm at home and the games
are at school. I have taken many of my game boards from 57 Games to Play in the
Library or Classroom by
Carol K. Lee, Fay Edwards;  Learning About Books and Libraries: A Gold Mine of
Games by Carol Lee and Janet Langford; Ready-To-Use Library Skills Games:
Reproducible Activities for Building Location and Literature Skills by Ruth V.
Snoddon; as well as some other books. Examples of the games that we play are
baseball for general review questions,  and there is one called Biography Bash that
reviews general biography facts; 4x4 is a general library information one (kind of
like tic tac toe but more challenging), and there is one called Dewey Spin. We do
some others. The kids like to play games, and I think that they are a good teaching
tool.

I just find a game that I want to play that involves a board. Then I create the
game board on a transparency instead of poster board.  Often I can scan the example
game board from the book, and enlarge it to fit on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. I
print it using my ink jet. Then I copy that sheet on to an inkjet appropriate
transparency sheet. Colors do show, but are not that bright. Most of my games are
black and white. I bought transparent plastic bingo chips at the teacher supply
store. I have large size foam dice if they are needed, and I bought a spinner that
shows on an overhead. If there are instruction cards (as in move back 3 spaces)
involved with my game I print those on card stock, often using a business card or
mailing label template. This method works really well for me. Storage is really
convenient because of the size. I just keep each game in a mailing envelope in the
file cabinet.

I hope I have answered the questions you had.

Connie W. Welch, Librarian
OLPH School
Grove City, OH
cwelch@softhome.net