Simply put, this book has shot up to probably number 3 on my all-time
favorite books list. And speaking of book list, are any of you doing
Library Thing? Here is my list:
http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?view=ctrinkle

When I  was reading the last few pages of this book, set in Nazi
Germany and narrated by Death himself, who was very busy at that time, I
sobbed through two lunch napkins.  I had to leave the room so my girls
wouldn't worry about me.  They were watching television, which they did
for the three days I spent reading this book.  I broke our "no t.v.
during the week" rule so I could read this book.  I cried not because I
was sad or because the book was over, but because it was written, and I
was overwhelmed by that rare feeling you get sometimes when you are in
the presence of something majestic, like a child's putting her arm on
your leg and leaning into you, as children who don't understand personal
space tend to do.  The Book Theif took over my personal space for three
days, and I haven't recovered.

Catherine