Re Susan Leibowitz's questions about
Harry, Carrie & Garp last night at Radio City
Music Hall.

Just got this e-mail from NYC
librarian friend, Patty Saidenberg:

 <<The evening started with Whoopi (Goldberg)
talking about reading, each of the author's
contributions to literature, etc. Kathy Bates,
and Jon Stewart introduced the authors with
their own stories...each author had a video
montage prior to them coming out. It was
like the Beatles at Shea Stadium.

 Stephen King read the Barf-o-rama section
of Stand by Me, John Irving read the chapter
about the Christmas Pageant (I can't recall
the title of the book), and JK Rowling read
from the most recent Harry Potter.
As you can imagine, each author had a
perfectly decorated set, and all three
staged rooms fit easily on the Radio City
stage.   There were 4 very large screens so
that the audience was able to see each
author's expressions while they were reading.
Prior to the show, the audience was able to
submit questions, 12 were chosen.

 Radio City was packed - and a very small
percentage of the audience were children.
It was terrific, and I am sorry that not
everyone that I know was there. In closing,
Stephen King thanked us, the audience full
of readers. It was delightful.>>

If you're thinking about being in NYC right now,
put an icepack on your head. I was there
yesterday to teach my Pratt Storytelling class
and it was sizzlin'. 100+ out there today,
and not expected to break till Thursday night.

On the up side, I got to have lunch with
Lynne Truss yesterday, who was in the city
promoting her new book for kids on the
Today Show in the morning. It's a picture book
spinoff of Eats, Shoots and Leaves, and is
going to be a big hit for comma-loving teachers
and librarians. She was terrific--funny,
down-to-earth, and a bit astonished at
the turns her life has taken in the past
two years. A very cool lunch on a very
hot day. (Two weeks ago I heard Paul Zelinsky
do a story hour for kids at the Museum
of Modern Art, across from Donnell Library
where I teach. And last week, not only did
I see Lois Ehlert speak there, but Lisa Von Drasek
invited me for lunch with Lois, which was totally
fascinating--and, as always, with Lisa present,
hilarious.) I love my job!

Judy Freeman
Children's Literature Consultant
"Wild About Books" columnist, School Library Media Activities Monthly
Author of the all new Books Kids Will Sit Still For 3
  (Libraries Unlimited, 2006; www.LU.com)
65 North Sixth Avenue
Highland Park, NJ 08904
732-572-5634 / BKWSSF@aol.com