I was originally  looking for the last quote on this list, but a couple of
other people (thank  you!) sent some really inspiring ones I thought this
community would enjoy. As  we began our first day of in-service today and many of
you are preparing for a  new school year, take heart:
"Most people don't  realize how important librarians are. I ran across a book
recently which  suggested that the peace and prosperity of a culture was
solely related to how  many librarians it contained. Possibly a slight
overstatement. But a culture  that doesn't value its librarians doesn't value ideas
and
without ideas, well,  where are we?"   --- from The Sandman by Neil Gaiman
The  library connects us with the insight and knowledge, painfully extracted
from  Nature, of the greatest minds that ever were, with the best teachers,
drawn from  the entire planet and from all our history, to instruct us without
tiring, and  to inspire us to make our own contribution to the collective
knowledge of the  human species.  I think the health of our civilization, the depth
of our  awareness about the underpinnings of our culture and our concern for
the future  can all be tested by how well we support our libraries.  ~Carl
Sagan,  Cosmos

The richest person in the world. In  fact all the riches in the world —
couldn't provide you with anything like the  endless, incredible loot available at
your local library. You can measure the  awareness, the breadth and the wisdom
of a civilization, a nation, a people, by  the priority given to preserving
these repositories of all that we are, all that  we were, or will be. Malcolm
Forbes

Access to knowledge is the  superb, the supreme act of truly great
civilizations. Of all the institutions  that purport to do this, free libraries
stand
virtually alone in accomplishing  this mission. No committee decides who may
enter, no crisis of body or spirit  must accompany the entrant. No tuition is
charged, no oath sworn, no visa  demanded. Of the monuments humans build for
themselves, very few say "touch me,  use me, my hush is not indifference, my space
is not barrier. If I inspire awe,  it is because I am in awe of you and the
possibilities that dwell in you.  Toni Morrison
Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared  to that of
an ignorant nation." ~ Walter Cronkite (1916-  )
What a school thinks  about its library is a measure of what it thinks about
education.  –Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner  of Education

Julie  Dahlhauser, librarian
Anderson Early Childhood Center
620 West Main  Street
Brownsville, Tennessee USA  38012