Thanks to everyone who replied to this question. I gave my patron 2 books
that you suggested and one more that I found using the Novelist database
(check with your public library to see if they have access - great
resource). Unfortunately, none was the one she remembered, although all were
on target.

The overwhelming response from you was to try "The Missing Piece" by Shel
Silverstein. One reply mentioned "The mountain that loved a bird" (by Alice
McLerran), which she loved, but not quite right either.

The one I found on Novelist was the one she's going to use, even though it
wasn't the one she remembered. "McGoogan moves the mighty rock" by Dick
Gackenbach. (From the 1981 Kirkus review: " When a rock McGoogan rests under
requests more music, the two strike up a conversation and then a bargain: If
McGoogan will haul the rock off to see the sea, the rock will tell him where
to find a fist-sized gold nugget. And so their journey begins, with
McGoogan's burden eased en route by all the chips the generous rock donates
to good folks in need of stone.")

-Thanks again - you all are the best!
-Kathy
Kathy Clark