Hi 'netters -
I just wanted to share some of the info that JK Rowling mentioned this past Wed.
nite at the event at Radio City in NYC.  Many thanks to all who passed along some
helpful advice before we arrived.
First of all, it was a wonderful event & the setting was terrific (Radio City is a
spectacular place).  There were celebrity announcers for all.  Whoopie Goldberg
introduced the event, Tim Robbins introduced Stephen King, Stanley Tucci introduced
John Irving, Kathy Bates introduced JK Rowling  (this was JK's first trip to the US
in 6 years) & Soledad O'Brien introduced audience members that were asking
questions.  It was a filmed event & large screens were positioned so that the
nosebleed section (our seats) didn't feel too far removed.
Each of the authors read a section from one of their books (there was a vomit theme
going with Stephen King & John Irving) from a seated "themed" area (Stephen King
sat in an electric chair, JK sat in a gothic setting & John in a leather armchair
next to a fireplace).  They shared some personal tidbits to give us all some
insight into their writing process.
But, enough....here are the only hints that JK gave us for the next installment....
An audience member (Salman Rushdie, accompanied by his son) asked her about his
theory about Dumbledore not really being dead but, I am sorry to report that she
said that "Dumbledore is really dead;" it's time to get over the "5 stages of grief
& move on."  She also hinted that "there is more to Aunt Petunia than meets the
eye."  She also apologized to the librarians out there (one posed a non-related
library question) for her take on the profession.  She said that if the Hogwarts
librarian were nicer (JK did not have good experiences with librarians as a girl),
than Hermione wouldn't have to look up all her answers in books & the answers would
just be given to her.  She also mentioned that just today in the shower, she had
thought of a different title for the book, although she wouldn't reveal choice 1 or
2.  The final question of the nite asked each of the authors which 5 characters of
their creation they would like to have dinner with.  She answered "first Harry, so
that
I can apologize to him" & then added Ron & Hermione.  Then she asked whether or not
the character had to be alive & added Dumbledore & Hagrid.  So...the question is,
why did she want to apologize to Harry & is she just answering the question
acknowledging  the present characters that have died or has she included future
dead characters??!!  I guess that we will just have to wait it out & suffer quietly
until we know with certainty who she will kill off.
All in all, it was a terrific event (although the celebrity intros were somewhat
forced & I'm not sure why some of the celebs were chosen).  They raised money for
good causes (Doctors without Borders & Haven, a writers organization).
Now, put your thinking caps on; think of another group of 3 live authors that would
make an interesting grouping.  Maybe we can encourage this sort of event to happen
again!
Enjoy the rest of your summer,
all the best --  Susan

Susan Ackerman Leibowitz, MLS