Thanks to all who shared their ideas - I received several quiz-type
activities as well as library orientation crosswords - each would need
to be adapted for your own LMC but I am pasting the ideas below:

1. Library Quiz to be completed in teams:
Name _________________________________

Can you find the answers??

All of these questions can be answered using information available in
room 156.  See if your team can find the answers first!

1.      What does oaf mean?

______

2.      On what continent would you find an okapi?
______________________________________

3.      How many counties are in the state of Arizona?
___________________________________

4.      Name the 22nd President of the US.

5.      Who wrote the Black Lagoon books?

6.      Where were the Summer Olympics held in 1964?
__________________________________

7.      If Henry Ford were alive today, how old would he be?
______________________________

8.      What are three words you could use instead of good?
_______________________________

______

9.       Triton is a moon of which planet?

10.      What year was Michael Jordan born in?

11.     What country is in between Spain and France?
____________________________________

12.     Name one of the SFA Cooperative Learning standards.
______________________________

______

2. Treasure hunts are a great way to get acquainted with the library.
Each fall, for 8th grade orientation, I create a scavenger hunt based on
a theme. So far, I've used Olympics, Fear Factor, Finding Nemo, Lord of
the Rings, Amazing Race, Survivor, etc.

I divide the class into groups of four and give them a sheet with 6
items to find, or questions to answer. Some are very easy, such as "What
time does the library open each day?" Others require browsing, such as
in the Amazing Race, I hid route markers behind certain books and they
had to follow the Dewey numbers along till they found the book.
For Fear Factor, I bought gummy worms and buried them in a pail of hot
cocoa mix. The 'sand' stuck to the worms and made them look brown and
very convincing. Their final 'challenge' required picking a worm out of
the bucket and eating it. The first class that came in really fell for
it, but word spread like wildfire through the school, so the others were
tipped off. It was something they really enjoyed, however, and made the
library a very popular place from that day on.

3.
1-Locate and browse through the biography section and list one title
you'd like to read. Write it below.

2-Locate the poetry section (800's) - take one book of poetry back to
the table. Within that book, find a poem and read it.  Write the title
of the book and the poem you chose:
Title of book:
Title of poem:
3-List the titles of 2 magazines you didn't know our library had:

4-Bill Peet writes Everyone Fiction books - find one of his books and
write:
Title-
Publisher-
copyright date-
First sentence in book-

Now - return the book to its correct shelf!
5- In the Reference Section, select a The World Book Student Discovery
Encyclopedia volume that matches the first letter of your last name.
Look through the volume and write down two articles you would like to
read - and the page they start and end on.
 *                                                      p.___ - ______
 *                                                      p.___ - ______
6- In the Reference Section, select any volume of the green set Amazing
Animals of the World.  Find an interesting animal.  Then look at the 2-3
icons on top of that page, copy them in the boxes below.  Turn to p. 4-5
and write down what those icons mean on the line under each box.

______________________________________
7-At a computer:
 A- click on World Book <http://www.worldbookonline.com/wb/Home>  -
write one Important event that happened on today's date

 B-click on Little Explorers
<http://members.enchantedlearning.com/Dictionary.html>
(these questions are from the Little Explorer Web Site - Answer the
three questions that match the first letter of your last name!)  Before
you do this activity - circle the three questions you will be answering.
(A-H) How tall can a redwood tree grow?_______________________
(A-H) Draw the symbol for ampersand _______________________
(A-H) What color is a roach's blood?_______________________
(I-P) How many keys does a piano have?_____________________
(I-P) Where do nurse sharks live?_______________________
(I-P) How many horns did Triceratops have?_______________________
(Q-Z) When did Hawaii become a state? ____________________
(Q-Z) What color is a lobster's blood?_______________________
(Q-Z) How many sides does a heptagon have?_______________________

8- Select a book with a mystery genre tag on it.  Show it to your
homeroom teacher - if OK - Sign it out

Dorothy Table - start at #1
Tin Man Table - start at #3
Lion Table - start at #5
Scarecrow Table - start at # 7
4. Treasure map (of library)

Though not exactly a treasure hunt, I have drawn a blank map of our
library.  After discussing the sections of our library (including call
numbers, etc), I give students the blank maps and they have to find and
label each section. I include on the map additional things as printer,
unabridged dictionary since it is on a separate podium, magazines and
newspapers, circulation desk, librarian' office, teacher section, etc.
There is no talking to anyone because I tell each student that at some
point, they will need to know where these things are.  They can, of
course, ask me questions.....

5. One of the most successful lessons I have at my school is by using
book covers to have kids practice location skills. They really love the
idea of having the book cover as a visual. They take the book cover to
the online catalog, find the call number and then locate the book. When
they locate the book, they put the cover on the book. This requires
ahead of time your making sure the book is actually on the shelf. I use
this lesson every year and the kids never tire of it.

5. Crosswords:

Find it in the IMC                      Names:

                E       G       Y       P       T
D                               S
A                               K
                        E       V       A               C       I
V       I       L       W       A       R
A               T
                A       M       B       E       R       B       R
O       W       N               I
                        O               S
D       O       N
S               G
D       O       R       E       E       N       C       R       O
N       I       N
I                       R
N                       G                       R
O                       O                       O               J
E       T       E       R
S                       O                       A
A                       S                       L               A
U                       E                       D               Z
R                                               D               K
S                       R       O       S       A       P       A
R       K       S
                                                H               B

                                                L               A

ACROSS  DOWN
1.  932 2.  629.1
5. FIC IBB author (first name)  3.  E PIL author (first name)
6.  973.7       4.  796.21
8. FIC DAN character (2 words)  7. REF 910.3 (3 words)
10.  E FRE author (first name)  9.  398.8 (2 words)
11.  E CRO author (2 words)     11.  567.9
13. subject of B JET (either name)      12. FIC DAH author (2 words)
15.  subject of B PAR (2 words) 14.  prison in FIC ROW title

6. Survivor Treasure hunt:

A few years ago there was an idea on this listserv about a survivor
treasure hunt and I have used it successfully with fourth graders.I
decorate the library with shells and an island theme.  I get plastic pop
bottles and roll up a map like piece of paper to put inside. On the
paper are places in the library or specific books to find.  The students
at individual tables cut out different fish, each table a specific
color.   They use the map to find the places and set a fish by the book
or area.  One person also has a paper to record answers like book
titles.  One person is the leader, one sets the fish in the right spot
etc.

Thanks,

Joanne Kozumplik
Librarian