From: "Laura Burns" <laura.burns@CMS.K12.NC.US>
To: <LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 4:28 PM
Subject: [LM_NET] TAR: partial open schedule

> I just got off the phone with my principal talking about scheduling
issues.  It sounds like my schedule is going to change to be partially
flexible and I'm wondering the best way to do this.

> A little background... Last year I saw about 36 K-5 classes each week for
30 minutes each.   Increasing enrollment means we are adding 6 more classes
this year.  The other special area teachers are each getting an additional
half time teacher but of course media isn't.  I do have a full time
assistant, thank goodness!  Special area classes, including media, are used
as planning time for the teachers, so going to a full time flexible schedule
isn't possible.  They need that 30 minutes every week to go towards their
planning.

> My principal would love to go to a full flexible schedule and thinks his
current idea will help us work towards that.  He would like me to see 1/2 of
the classes each week during their scheduled time to do the lessons I have
usually done.  My assistant would see the other 1/2 of the classes during
the week to have storytime and checkout.  The following week we would switch
and I would see the 1/2 she had seen the previous week and teach my lessons
to them and she would do storytime and checkout with the other 1/2.  The
"free" time I have while she is teaching her 1/2 is when teachers come in
with their classes to work on projects with me.  This 1/2 and 1/2 idea he
loves, since each class will see me at least once every other week for
lessons whether or not their teacher takes advantage of the flexible
schedule time.

> The only problem I have with this (besides being very confusing to
explain!) is that my media center is very small.  So student distraction
will be an issue.  There will be a class in the media center for storytime
while another class is there doing research with me.

> Does anyone else have similar scheduling issues?  Could you give me ideas
on how to make the best of this schedule?  Or have another way to look at
this?  Any help or pearls of wisdom are appreciated!