I agree with Betty....my first thought was, "In 10 minutes, the best you can
do is PRESENT YOU!!"  Let them know that you are energetic, excited, and
willing to work with them...and that you'll be stopping by to meet with them
during their department meetings.

Set-up times NOW to meet with those departments after the initial teacher's
meeting before school starts --and meet with each department (if
possible) during your first week of teacher-training.  If you can set-up
training for later, do that with the departments; if not, have a brochure of
what the library provides and give it to each teacher at the
department meetings.  (I'm working on my brochure now....if you need a copy
to review, remind me and I'll post it (in Publisher) to my website later
this weekend...(I'm so behind on updating the website!!)

Also, be sure to make an appointment to meet with your principal this week
(or your first week with the teachers) and then before you leave your first
meeting with him / her, ask him / her to set "next month's meeting with you"
so that you can share your progress, concerns, etc.  (If you principal
doesn't want to set a schedule to meet again, be persistant in meeting
again---and give him / her the news of your first month....keep making those
monthly appointments!!)

Have fun!!

~Shonda

On 8/8/06, Betty Copeland <copelandb@hayscisd.net> wrote:

> 10 minutes is NOT enough for an introduction, library procedures, and
> whatever else!  I would schedule procedures and everything else for
> departmental meetings, grade-level meetings, etc.  With this "intro" for the
> whole faculty, I would suggest a brief history of your background--previous
> schools,
> education, etc., and then focus on your philosophy of literacy, learning
> and listening -- that you are there for your faculty-- you value their imput
> -- you keep "wish lists" of needs from faculty AND students -- but your
> focus is on collaboration, collection needs and community!  (GEEZ-- I'm
> really into the alphabet tonight -- my mind is racing and I can get quite
> creative at night!)  Maybe read something of importance to you, or a poem
> that reflects your insight into what you feel might be a goal for this
> year.  Good luck!  Middle school and junior high kids are awesome!
>
> Betty Copeland, MLIS
> Librarian
> Dahlstrom Middle School
> Buda, Texas 78610
> 512-268-8441, ext. 6537
> Fax 512-295-5346
> copelandb@hayscisd.net

> You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
> by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
> * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
> * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://elann.biglist.com/sub/