Wow, Friends!  We have some great minds in our collective listserve!

I asked for suggestions to use  lighthouses in the media center this
year and incorporate a theme linking a lighthouse with reading.

You all sent some wonderful suggestions.  I will present your
suggestions to my Media Advisory Committee and have them vote.

Thank you for the excellent suggestions:

Books:

Little Gray Lighthouse and Great Gray Bridge by Swift

Lighthouse Cat by Stainton

The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge_ by Hildegard
Swift and pictures by Lynd Ward. No, it's not set in NC, but it's a
great way for kids to empathize with a lighthouse and then for them
to learn about how the book ensured the survival of the lighthouse in
real life (it's the Jeffreys Hook Lighthouse in NY)--visit this
website for info:

http://www.hudsonlights.com/littlered.htm

Another book is _Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie_ by Peter and Connie
Roop. There's also the Lighthouse Family books by Cynthia Rylant, the
Boxcar Children book #8 (The Lighthouse Mystery) by Gertrude Chandler
Warner, etc. etc

Captions:

"Your Library: Lighting the Way to.....(you can add something here
like "great books" or "good grades" or whatever works for the monthly
theme....)

Or even:  "Lighting Your Way @ The Library"  (this uses the @Your
Library theme from ALA)

"Spotlight to Great Books"

"Shining Through the School Year"

"Guiding Your Path to Great Books"

"Guiding Your Path to Better Grades"

"Reading...A Beacon in the Dark"

perhaps you can use the word "guiding" in your theme... it brings
lighthouses to mind.

Keep the reading light shining.

Let a book be your beacon into imagination.

"Shine your light on great books!"

"Shine your light on a good book!"

"Shine your light on good reading!",

"Let your light shine brighter - read a good book!"

"Reading Lights up your World."

  I've also used "Beacons of Light" and put up students's good work
but you could put up jackets of good books or pictures of students
reading.

Reading will brighten up your life.

Empower the light in your mind...read.

Reading...the beacon of your life.

Increase your voltage...read.

"In a storm of information, your librarian will guide you safely
ashore."

What about the quote from Despereaux  "Stories are light, and in a
dark world, light is precious."  [a very rough paraphrase because I
don't have my book with me]

Let books be your beacon.

Books/reading light up our life/minds..

Put a genre display next to a lighthouse with a sign "Warning,
hazardous reading ahead."  "spotlight on genre, theme, new books etc"

Libraries light up your reading life.

Books help you shine.

The library, your beacon to adventure

Let your library (or librarian) guide you to a safe landing with a
good book.

Reading:  A beacon for learning.

  Light up your world:  read!

  Follow the light:  read!

"Let great books be your guide"

In 2004 our Keystone State Reading Association annual conference used
a lighthouse theme with "literacy - a beacon of knowledge" as the
catch phrase.  Maybe you could use a variation ...

Library - a beacon of information

Lighting the path to adventure

Books: the original light in the dark

Light up your mind with a good book

Books Light Your Way to Knowledge

Light a path to knowledge

Books are a beacon for learning

Books (or reading)  light your way

"Light up your world....READ!"  is my theme for this school year,
using lighthouses from around the world. Each classroom will receive
a poster with that saying on the left side and our island lighthouse
(Barnegat Light, NJ) on the right with READ across the bottom.

This is for 4th thru 6th grades.

Janice Askew
Media Coordinator
T. S. Cooper Elementary School