Here is what I have gotten so far:

i"ve played "Who Wants to be a Millionnaire" with the students and they  have
a lot of fun. I do it in powerpoint. One student (picked randomly) sits  in
the hot seat and has to guess the answers. I make sure they "win" by  having
the choices pretty obvious or by giving them verbal clues like, "BE  very
careful with this one."

The kids really pay attention because it  is funi"ve played "Who Wants to be
a Millionnaire" with the students and they  have
a lot of fun. I do it in powerpoint. One student (picked randomly) sits  in
the hot seat and has to guess the answers. I make sure they "win" by  having
the choices pretty obvious or by giving them verbal clues like, "BE  very
careful with this one."

Last year, I did a tic-tac-toe game to go over rules of the library and  how
to best use the online catalog. I used book pockets and created the  board
with check-out cards marked with Xs and Os to go in them. I divided  the
class into two teams and if they got the question right, they got to  choose
where their team put their X or O. They seemed to enjoy it.

Another team game I used was to divide classes into four groups. They  were
given an envelope with 5-6 slips of paper citing items to find in  the
library. They had to bring them back to their table and show the rest of  the
class: 1, what was written on each slip; 2, what they found to go with  it;
3, what part of the library they found it in. Included were things such  as
an atlas, an encyclopedia, a book from a series that we shelve on  top
together, a juvenile fiction book, several examples of non-fiction  books,
i.e. "find a dinosaur book," "find a science experiment book", "find a  horse
book", "find a book on religion," "find an art book." This was a  little
harder, but it challenged them and they tried to see who could get  back to
their table with all their items first.

Another one they  seemed to like was charades. I made up cards that had
things written on it  about library behavior and rules. Some they had to do
alone, some with a  partner. They acted out what was on the card and the rest
of the class had to  guess. They also had to say if it was something they
should or should not do  in the library. Examples: How to properly enter the
library, How not to enter  the library, How to use a shelf marker, how NOT to
use a shelf marker (as  weapons, scraping the spines, etc.), how to talk in
the library, talking too  loudly or roughhousing. This was fun because most
of them know what's  expected in the library and they were quick to identify
what wasn't  appropriate, but it was a fun review.

My approach is traditional: Our Language Arts teachers bring their  classes
to the library the first week of school to get their students started  on
their incentive reading program. I take care of the nuts and bolts  then
(how to use the on-line cat (in the library and remote access, and how  to
locate a book on the shelves;  borrowing procedures, overdues,  etc.)

I teach library resources in context, as they are needed.  I
introduce/reinforce resources as classes come in throughout the year  to
work on projects requiring them,

How about a power point with upbeat music and lots of pics of  activities
> [...]
> have waiting for  them. Pick stuff they'll be interested in - like sports
> stats, fashion,  popular fiction, inspirational (like  _Chicken Soup For
> the Teenage  Soul_), etc. Go by what your current students really like
> and add in  things you wish they'd like.
> * * * * * * * * * * *
>
> You  are not to go over rules?... but you can emphasize activities that
>  require  people to be respectful of each other and property - for
>  example...
> * What is the rule about backpacks :
> o If they can  carry them through the day, "What fun - now you can use
> all
>  those neat organizers - lightweight , etc. to manage your needed items"
>  o  If they can't carry them through the day - " Wow, you have a  whole
> locker to yourself where you can safely store your things so you  don't
> have
> to always be juggling them in the hallways"
>
> That type of thing... - not really going over the rules, but in  an
> upbeat
> way getting the message across..
> Perhaps a  little role playing: passing in the halls, stair safety, etc.
>  Some
> of the great benefits of the other school - a larger library?  Access to
> more
> resources? Study halls?
> * * * * * *  *
>
> I have used the phrase, "Come Catch the Magic of  Learing'.  You can
> invite them to come catch the magic of learning  at _______ school
> (insert schools name) and Have people do some quick  overviews of the
> middle school and then say "Come catch the magic of  learning with us."
> It works very well for me.
> * * * * *  *
>
> Let's see....get pictures of principal, guidance coyunselors,  teachers,
> librarian, scan them and do a "Meet the Faculty" presentation  on
> powerpoint.
>
> As a topper, you could have a  Concentration Game matching the person to
> name or job.  Hand out  Starburst candies to those who correctly match
> the pictures.
>
> Another idea might be a presentation on all the  extra-curricular
> activities.  Maybe invite a few student leaders to  give a presentation,
> question-answer period, etc.  If you do, then  come up with about a dozen
> canned questions and "plant" them in the  audience so the kids aren't
> left looking like dummies if nobody asks  anything.
> * * * * * * * *
>
> This may not be new but here  are some suggestions:
> 1. "ask mr parsons" (you could even role play  this) - where should you
> find a
> book about "wrestling?" who is  the author of are you there god...? where
>
> should i look for  books by r.l. stine? what is our school website?
> 2. do a few short  booktalks.
> 3. put out a newsletter with the rules, comments and stories  from
> students -
> what every sixth grader should know about the  lmc!!!

This year I made an orientation video and followed it with a  scavenger hunt.
They seemed to enjoy it.

This activity wouldn't be  included in your scavenger hunt, but it's fun
anyway.
I used it with  grades 3-6, modifying it for the lower grades.  I  photocopied
book
covers of well known characters and pasted them  individually onto
construction
paper.  The kids had to guess the  character name and book title.  Some
characters
I included were  Shiloh, Pippi Longstocking, Stellaluna, Max of Where the
Wild
Things Are,  Freak the Mighty, Bunnicula, Number the Stars, Brian of Hatchet,
and
Tom  Sawyer.  I made about 30 of these, and passed five of them out to  each
table.  The kids would try and guesss in a matter of time, then  pass them
on.
Hope this is something you're looking for.  My 6th  graders loved it,
especially
books they read as a child because they knew  it by cover but forgot the book
title.