 http://tinyurl.com/j6dsy
Steve Blow:
Save this column - your child's future depends on it

10:18 AM CDT on Sunday, August 13, 2006

Hello, parent. Nice to chat with you a moment.

What you're holding in your hands is a column from The Dallas Morning News.

That's obvious to those reading this in the newspaper. But if my plan works,
you may be reading a photocopy of the column.

I was so eager for this one to be copied that I made it real easy. No
annoying jump today. The whole column is right here – ready to clip and
copy. Oh, and you don't have to call the newspaper for permission. Make as
many copies as you want.

What makes me so eager to get this in your hands? What could be so all-fired
important?

Your child, that's what. Your child's future. Your child's success. Your
child's happiness.

Got your attention, didn't I? Of course I did. We love our children. We want
the very best for them.

Well, I need to warn you about a dangerous notion that is spreading – one
that has hurt a lot of kids. I hope to crush that mistaken idea.

Here's the myth: Schools educate children.

Don't fall for it! Too many children have suffered already.

Let me explain. Of course schools can help educate a child. But just like a
book or a pencil, a school is only a tool. And a tool can only do so much. A
book can't open itself. A pencil has no words of its own. And schools alone
can't educate.

Parents must be in charge of their children's education. To put it plainly:
The success or failure of your child's education is up to you.

We spend a lot of time talking about "fixing" schools. The truth is that few
are broken. The much bigger problem is parents who have forgotten their
vital role. When that happens, schools struggle.

Teachers have a hard time discussing this. It sounds like they're making
excuses. But it's true.

As a parent, you have the power to make a complete failure of the very best
teacher or finest school. How? Easy. Just say bad things about the school to
your child. Tell how unfair teachers were to you. Criticize a lot. Or simply
take no interest at all. Trust me, your attitude will quickly be your
child's attitude.

On the other hand, if you are excited about school, chances are your child
will be, too. Make it clear how important education is to you. Set high
goals. Volunteer at school if you can. At least introduce yourself to the
teacher. Don't hesitate to make an appointment as soon as concerns arise.
Working as a team is everything.

At home, talk about school. Make it fun. Praise. Encourage. Turn off the TV
for a while each night. Make that homework time. Or reading time.

If you didn't love school, that's OK. You're still the key to your child's
success. Visit a school counselor to learn ways of helping.

If big, big problems arise, consider moving your child to another school.
Learn your options. Sounds drastic, but remember: You're in charge.

Real school reform begins at home.

E-mail sblow@dallasnews.com

Mary Croix Ludwick, Librarian  K-5
Thomas Haley Elem, Irving, Texas (near Dallas)
ludwick@swbell.net (home address)