I've been following this thread and have to agree with those who insist we are here
to teach students to use all libraries--the one they walk into at College won't be
arranged by AR levels. I think the thing that bothers me even more than the
shelving issue is the fact that library staff are labeling the books with the
"dots" that indicate a reading level on the outside of the book. What about privacy
issues? Do we want a fifth grader walking around with a book that clearly shows
everyone he is reading at only a second grade level? Don't we have a responsibility
to protect our student's privacy? I don't have a problem with AR if it is used to
get kids reading, but when it becomes the only focus of a visit to the library I
think the students are missing out on all of the other wonderful things we have to
offer. Just my two cents.

Anne Hinchcliff
Library/IMC Manager
Siskiyou County Office of Education