Several people asked me to post a hit on the responses for my
copyright question about students in a university class being able to
use images of book covers from amazon.com in their children's
literature notes.  Here are the responses I received.

?       I just graduated with my Master's in Library Science and we were
allowed to put book covers taken from Amazon in our Power Point
presentations as long as we cited the source.

?       I believe that "fair use" indicates that you can use up to 10% of any
work for personal benefit BUT they couldn't "publish" it for a project,

?       For my Children?s Lit Class I wanted to use book covers to remind
others what the books looked like but on www.amazon.com the covers
can't be copied. but if you go to amazon.uk there is more of a
possibility to get copies of the book. Be careful you might have to
cite the source or go to the author's website to get book covers. cite
the source!

?       I don't know about the legality of it, but in the 20 years I worked
in publishing, I never knew a publisher to object to students using
books covers just for notes. As a matter of fact, I can tell you that
it is the marketing department that uploads covers into amazon. I
know. I've done it myself.

?       I took a workshop from Peggy Sharp in February, and she said you
could.  She goes to Kinko's, makes a copy of the cover of a book,
glues it on the front of a colored file folder, and covers the insides
of the folder with reviews of the book.  Then puts the file folders
out for students to look at.

?       My professor will use pictures of book covers on his presentation
slides, but when he posts them for us to download, he posts them
without the pictures.  The reasoning was that for a distance ed
class, having them on screen for the presentation was like holding
the book up and talking about it.  Downloading it onto the Web was
akin to publishing it and lead into murky waters.  I'd be curious to
see what others say about this.

?       If you wish to use images from the Internet, you may be pleased to
read the Educational Fair Use Guidelines for Digital Images drafted at
the CONFU Conference in 1996 and updated in 2002; and the fair use
legal document, U.S. Code collection, Title 17, Chapter 1, paragraph
107, located on the Cornell Law School server.

?       I do believe that is not legal according to copyright laws. However,
if this is something they only will be looking at they can get away
with it. Reason, many people print out the Amazon notes about a book
with the book cover on the page and never think nothing about it

?       The covers are all copyrighted as well.  So they will have to obtain
from permission from the copyright holder to do that.

?       Each student would be able to make a copy on an individual basis for
use in their notes, as part of "fair use". If the student plans to
publish
an article or book using the image, then s/he would need to obtain
permission.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I gave the info to the professor
today and she was so impressed with your quick and generous help.

Tawana West, LMS
Walker Elementary School
1701 S. 40th Street
Springdale, AR   72762
email:  twest@sdale.org
phone: 479 750-8874   fax:  479 750-8717