I tried to reply to Nancy, but her emails came back:

Henry Winkler has a series out about Hank Zipzer, a child who has many struggles in
school.  I haven't read any of them, but the summaries look like what you're
looking for.  One book deals with Dyslexia, another with Summer School, and there
is one title "Help, Somebody Get Me Out of Fourth Grade!" that might be of use.  I
am not sure the ending of that book, but Hank is about to have to repeat 4th grade.

HTH!

Here are some more titles:

The Flunking of Joshua T. Bates by Susan Richards Shreve- this child is a 3rd grader

Claudia, Queen of the Seventh Grade by Ann Martin

Frankie is Staying Back by Ron Roy- another 3rd grader

Raynette Schulte
Young Adult Librarian
Watertown Regional Library
Watertown, SD