I am the middle school and upper elementary teacher-librarian, and am a member of
our district's reconsideration committee. One of our high school language arts
teachers and our high school teacher-librarian are embroiled in a controversy over
the book What's Eating Gilbert Grape.  A parent protested the book to our
superintendant who read the "offensive pages," (NOT the entire book) and publicly
deemed it pornography and told the teacher to stop using the book in her lit. to
film class. Before making this decision, he also had the members of the school
board read the same passages--again, NOT the entire book, and they agreed with the
decision. He did not say that it couldn't be checked out from the library, and of
course all 25 copies are now checked out. This has received much local and
statewide attention, and this past Monday, a parent filed the paperwork to have the
book banned from the media center as well based on the newspaper reports. She also
has not read the book. As a member of this committee, it is my job to gather
reviews of this book. Have any of you had this book challenged in your schools, and
can anyone help me locate these reviews? We will be meeting for the first time on
Dec. 11th.

I appreciate your help!

Lisa Dreesman
Teacher-Librarian